Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping while nursing

Default Pumping while nursing

I've heard everyone say and I've read everywhere that you get more milk from one breast when your baby is nursing from the other.

I've tried this several times but my LO doesn't seem to want to share with a machine! Seriously, he'll push the flange away from breast. Sometimes he'll stop nursing and push away the flange with his hand AND the tubings with his feet. He'll resume nursing ONLY when I remove the pump from my other breast.

Any tips on how I can pump while nursing? I really want to replenish my stock that has been consumed by my LO when he started drinking more milk that I bring home.

By the way, I'm a working mom who pumps at work 3-5 times a day, including once in the morning before going to work (if LO doesn't nurse) and one in the evening upon getting home (again, if LO just had his milk).

TIA!
    MommyOnTop
    Mom to Issen (11.02.06) and Kobe (04.10.08)

Default Re: Pumping while nursing

You have a clever baby!

Would it be possible to use a different position for nursing, such as football hold, to make it harder for him to reach the pump?

Have you considered trying a manual pump? It might not be impossible to have enough hands to do that! I'm just wondering if he objects to the sound.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMarianne; August 25th, 2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: I missed the word "not" in the next to last sentence!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

So cute!

Maybe try when he's nursing to sleep. If he's drowsy, he might be less likely to object.
    Mom to A&B (we're 3!) and baby M

I don't know if I can manage using a manual pump to pump while nursing. I already feel I need to have an extra arm and hand using the electric one. I'll try and ask the nanny or my husband (good luck to me on that hahahahha!) to hold LO while doing this "challenge".

I tried doing it when he's already asleep, but by then, he has already stopped nursing and is just sucking for comfort. I didn't get much milk then, but maybe it's because I was too stressed out about trying to pump while nursing, without LO fighting for life with the flanges.

Thanks for your tips, I'll keep on trying.
    MommyOnTop

Is he too old to be swaddled while you pump and nurse? I've done that with my little one. You can even buy certain blankets that velcro together to make a swaddle (I think they are called "Swaddle Me"). They have different versions of them at babies R us. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I had a hard enough time nursing and pumping w/out my baby pushing away the horns, etc. LOL

Once he learned to flail his hands around, he never liked being swaddled anymore. And yes, he's a bit old now to start swaddling again, he's almost five months now.

I think I found the solution already.

I was able to pump earlier this evening while nursing him. He was sleeping already, but I sensed he'll need feeding so I picked him up. As soon as he's settled on my breast, I put the flange on my breast and turned on the pump. He stopped nursing almost automatically and his hands were reaching for the flange. What I did was make sure the tubings and the bottle weren't touching him, and just like that, he stopped fidgeting.

I realized that it's probably the vibration from the tubings and bottle touching his legs that's annoying him. Once I get them out of the way, he didn't bother with the flange or tubings anymore. I'll try again tomorrow and see if that will still work. I certainly hope it does.

I'll keep you posted.
    MommyOnTop

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyontop View Post
    Once he learned to flail his hands around, he never liked being swaddled anymore. And yes, he's a bit old now to start swaddling again, he's almost five months now.

I think I found the solution already.

I was able to pump earlier this evening while nursing him. He was sleeping already, but I sensed he'll need feeding so I picked him up. As soon as he's settled on my breast, I put the flange on my breast and turned on the pump. He stopped nursing almost automatically and his hands were reaching for the flange. What I did was make sure the tubings and the bottle weren't touching him, and just like that, he stopped fidgeting.

I realized that it's probably the vibration from the tubings and bottle touching his legs that's annoying him. Once I get them out of the way, he didn't bother with the flange or tubings anymore. I'll try again tomorrow and see if that will still work. I certainly hope it does.

I'll keep you posted.
    You figured it out! Good for you.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader