Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umbribyz View Post
    You are an amazing woman sticking it out as you are! I want to let you know you are not alone in your suffering. You are going above and beyond for your LO. Even if you are not able to exclusively breastfeed you are still an amazing mom for the effort and love you are putting into this. I am rooting for you! Thank you for sharing your story.

And Xerex, if you get a chance i'd love an update on how things are going for you now

umbribyz, , I hope you'll let us know if you have specific questions as many moms are here to help!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Hi lidarln,
    Thanks for checking in.
    I found a new pediatrician who strongly encourages breast feeding. I am currently working with him to get my LO off the bottle and formula supplements. I started using the SNS again. She still hates it, but I keep persisting. I have decreased my supplement significantly in the past couple of days. We've been working on this for a week and initially her weight remained the same. Between Monday and today (Thursday) she lost 2 oz. The doctor was not concerned. He told me to look at the baby more than the weight. He expected that she may lose a little bit of weight initially. He says that what she loses is stuff from the formula in her system that she doesn't need. I feel she's getting more from the breast because her dirty diapers increased and they have been completely mustardy. I hope she starts to gain weight.
    I think my supply is up b/c she seems to be drinking more at the breast. My only concern is that I'm not pumping as much as I used to. I usually pump after I use the SNS (about 2 or 2 times a day) and then twice at night. I used to get 2-2.5 oz total at my twice a night pump sessions and the past two nights I only got 1.5 oz. I don't think I waited as long before pumping, but I'm still concerned. I hope I'm not fooling myself by thinking my supply is up. I hope this works out.

I feel it's been confirmed that I really won't be able to EBF. Weighed her at the doctor's today and she only gained a half an oz in one week. Dr. was pretty disappointed and gave me the impression that he had lost hope that I could EBF. He wants me to start solids to avoid giving her more formula. He's hoping that will get her weight up. Now I guess I just need to find the best situation that gets my LO as much BM as possible and doesn't make me miserable. Working with this Dr. was my last hope. I'm pretty bummed

Working with the Dr was NOT your last hope mama, you are still BF and some is way better than none, no matter what, don't forget that!

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    Now I guess I just need to find the best situation that gets my LO as much BM as possible and doesn't make me miserable.

Even if you are not exclusively breastfeeding, your little one gets all the benefits of the breastmilk you give her. Try not to think of it as all or nothing - exclusive breastfeeding or you've somehow failed a test. You are doing the best for your little one, just like the rest of us (and working harder at it than many of us).

ok, I got mt son to stop typing so now I'm

try not to stress to much about the all or nothing aspect, we used 1 bottle a day of formula for a long time, actually until DS started solids...we did BLS or BLW at about 6 months and DS just dropped one bottle of ebm a day

no matter what don't worry yourself too much, enjoy the time spent with your lo, cherish the times you do nurse and whenever possible let someone else do the bottles, use that time for you or to pump

remember we're all here to support you no matter what
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

HUGS!!!

i am in no way trying to discourage you- BUT instead of putting your LO to your breast.... can you exclusively pump instead?? So IF LO eats every 3hrs, pump every 3hrs day and night. that way baby will get as much BM as you can pump and it will cut down on formula but lo will still get BM benefits. Have you looked at the long list of herbs/etc you can take to up supply at kellymom? maybe the things you were taking didnt work for you- maybe try something else. I know you said you do pump... maybe you can rent a hospital grade pump (if you dont have one)?

Breastfeeding i have found is not cut and dry. Many MANY moms pump only, pump while at work and BF at home, EBF, some give formula and BM.. there are many ways for baby to still get your milk.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

I know all these things in my mind and it helps to hear them from all you wonderful mama. I feel really good about how hard I've worked to give my Lo breast milk and know I've done my best. I'm going to keep giving my LO as much BM as possible. I'm also going to keep nursing her because I can see that she wants to be at my breast. She just wishes there was more milk in there. I just wish I knew how to get past this really intense sadness.

I know all these things in my mind and it helps to hear them from all you wonderful mama. I feel really good about how hard I've worked to give my Lo breast milk and know I've done my best. I'm going to keep giving my LO as much BM as possible. I'm also going to keep nursing her because I can see that she wants to be at my breast. She just wishes there was more milk in there. I just wish I knew how to get past this really intense sadness.
    I would look at the wonderful things though. Look at all the benefits shes already got from you as far as bonding and health wise. Look at how hard youve worked- pumping is not easy. Giving bottles are not the end of the road by any means and youre a WONDERFUL mom for all youve done. You carried your LO for 9m and gave her the gift of life.. she has had your milk and when she grows up it wont matter if you gave it by breast or bottle, for 2m or 24... she will forever be thankful.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

I feel it's been confirmed that I really won't be able to EBF. Weighed her at the doctor's today and she only gained a half an oz in one week. Dr. was pretty disappointed and gave me the impression that he had lost hope that I could EBF. He wants me to start solids to avoid giving her more formula. He's hoping that will get her weight up. Now I guess I just need to find the best situation that gets my LO as much BM as possible and doesn't make me miserable. Working with this Dr. was my last hope. I'm pretty bummed
    You are working HARD!

One thing sticks out in your post--the doctor wants your baby to start solid foods in order to gain weight.

Formula (or your milk) is designed to make babies gain weight. It is considered a complete food for the first year of lfe (that is, all the protein, fat, carbs, etc. that a baby needs). No solid food is a complete food. I'm wondering why the doctor is suggesting solid foods rather than formula. Did he recommend specific solid foods that he believes are high in calories?

Just another thing to think about.

Marianne
    LLL Leader