Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

it looks like the breastflow Bottles are not BPA free, sorry.

Does the bottle you are using now have a wide neck (like Avent, Born Free) or standard size neck (old school Gerber, medela)

maybe just switching to a wider neck like the Avent, I really don't mind shipping you some of the Avent stuff to try out and see.

i really hope things are going better mama, and i want you to be confident and proud!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Hey I just wanted to share my story so that you don't feel so down. I tried to exclusively breastfeed at first. It was horrible. I met with lactation consultants at the hospital and twice (1w and 3w) but still horrible pain and frustration. Everyone said it would get easier after a month but it didn't for us. So I started pumping a little. Then it turned into pumping all the time. It ended up giving my nipples time to heal and took the stress off me. I usually had to supplement with one bottle of formula as well. After returning to work I noticed a small dip in supply so I tried all the herbal remedies and Reglan. No luck. So I started pumping like a mad woman and got back up to where I only had to give one bottle of formula. Now some days I stressed out over this (I think I read everything on the internet- twice!) and other days I just let it go. If he had formula the world wouldn't end. Well at 2.5m old I decided maybe I would try again to get him to nurse since I knew it would help my supply. So I tried once or twice a night for about a week. Still some pain. I talked to a LLL leader and she gave me these tips:
    1. Only try when you feel you breast are fairly full
    2. Only try when he opens his mouth VERY wide.
    3. If hes really wiggly the football hold might help.
    4. Try it when I was calm... bathtub maybe.

Well it sounded simple like the same old advice but it worked! At almost 3m old my baby was finally nursing well!!! Now there are still a few times in the evening when my supply seems low that he gets a bit annoyed. I just switch sides very often and then take a break for 15-30 min and give him the paci.

For us I think we were just a little slow catching on to nursing. Yes he did have some formula, and yes I did go for 6 weeks without trying nursing at all. But in the end we finally got it to work. At 3.5m I have been formula free for a week!

Don't quit. Just do what you need to do to keep your sanity. Whether its pumping or a little formula here and there. Do your best and it will be good enough. Its most important to have a happy baby and mom.

royj1234,
    Thanks for those tips. I am going to try them today.

lildarln
    The Playtex nurser has a wide neck. It's the Playtex drop ins wide neck slow flow. I think it's just as wide as the avent an born free ones. Thanks for you offer of the Aven stuff. I don't want to trouble you.

Things are better today, she still prefers the bottle, but she will try for longer on the breast before she gets frustrated, so I think she has been getting a good deal of breast milk.

once I regroup I am going to start with the finish at the breast method. I just need give us both a little more of a break and then it's back to getting her back to the breast. The only thing I wonder is if this is useless as I will be starting work in a little over a month in which case she'll be on bottles for most of the day.

take the break you need mama

for me restoring the BF relationship was still a wonderful thing after i returned to work I'll add the following reasons:

First baby can get your supply up alot faster than pumping will
    all those hours spent pumping in a closet at work, it's remembering Silas at my breast that keeps me motivated
    weekends and evenings it's so relaxing to just nurse and not worry with the pump (now that we've finally found or happy supply/demand balance)

It's no trouble if you decide you want the Avent stuff, all you need to do is PM you address and I'll send it, I'm not using it anymore
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I was reading that the Natural Latch Nipples by Playtex are the recommended ones. Another consultant said that she likes the Breastflow nipples and another thinks they are horrible. I think using the Playtex nipples along with a wide neck glass bottle might be nice. Do you know if they fit? The Playtex drop ins don't have the chemical but the actual bottles does.

Great that baby is hanging on longer! Keep it up baby!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

So I've been able to get my LO to take to the SNS. I have it on the slowest tube, so that's good. Is it enough to pump twice at night after she goes to bed. I'm only able to get 2-3 oz which means that's all she'll get as far as BM supplement. Is that enough pumping to keep up my supply?

Just know that you are not alone. I went through very early supplementing with formula, the bad advice, the consultants that gave up on me and being told that it was OK if I wanted to stop. My baby girl is now 16 weeks old and exclusively on breast milk. I also pump like mad and take some of the herbs.

Here are a few things that helped me to ditch the formula. Perhaps it may also help you. It turned out my daughter couldn't tolerate any formula so it was very important for me to do everything possible to get my supply back up.

I spent as much of the day as possible with my baby only in a diaper and myself bare chested. Even though my baby didn't nurse all day her body against mine really helped a lot. We also take some of our baths together. I also rechecked my manual and realized that the breast shield that I had been using with my pump was not the proper size. Another adjustment that I made was in addition to the gallons of water I drink each day, I also started to eat more foods that had a higher water content. And surprisingly more time with my husband also helped.

One thing that I learned through experience was regarding my cycle. My menstrual cycle returned when my daughter was about 12 weeks old and my milk supply dropped significantly that week. So I have been storing any milk I pump that my baby doesn't need which might only be 1 ounce at a time to prepare for the next cycle.

I am sure that there are a lot of well experienced moms and consultants that can help you through this forum. They have been invaluable to me. I am new to this experience and not sure if any of the ideas that helped me will help you but just know that you are not alone.

Whatever your decision I am sure you will do what is best for your baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    So I've been able to get my LO to take to the SNS. I have it on the slowest tube, so that's good. Is it enough to pump twice at night after she goes to bed. I'm only able to get 2-3 oz which means that's all she'll get as far as BM supplement. Is that enough pumping to keep up my supply?
    when you are using the SNS is she still latching enough to where you feel a letdown? or at least the sucking as if she was nursing?

anyone whose used an SNS around to answer this???

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

She is latching enough where I have felt a letdown (I'm so distracted by the SNS that I don't think I'm as aware of them). I do think she is sucking well so far.

You are an amazing woman sticking it out as you are! I am here looking for answers for a similar situation. I am having to supplement with an SNS at every feeding. I am not making enough milk. I am working with a LC as well. My son had problems latching at the beginning due to a tight suck and even with pumping my supply decreased rapidly. I think we have fixed the latch but am still exploring other issues. I have had some testing myself for thyroid and prolactin levels which have been normal. I am trying desperately to care for my other 2 children as well. I want to let you know you are not alone in your suffering. You are going above and beyond for your LO. Even if you are not able to exclusively breastfeed you are still an amazing mom for the effort and love you are putting into this. I am rooting for you! Thank you for sharing your story. You have helped me to see that I am not alone either.