Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

You don't need permission from us!

You are fighting so much harder than all those moms out there who fall back on formula the minute there's a little problem. Baby needs a mommy who's not too stressed out to give her the love and attention she needs, which is so important! If taking a little break will help you, then you do what you have to do. Every bit of breastmilk she gets will help, even if it's only a little. Maybe taking a break from the struggles will help you both get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    You don't need permission from us!

You are fighting so much harder than all those moms out there who fall back on formula the minute there's a little problem. Baby needs a mommy who's not too stressed out to give her the love and attention she needs, which is so important! If taking a little break will help you, then you do what you have to do. Every bit of breast milk she gets will help, even if it's only a little. Maybe taking a break from the struggles will help you both get back on track.

I am so sorry to have missed your last posts, I was on vacation

No matter what i want you to know you are doing a great job mama! I've been there and i know the self doubt and exhaustion you are feeling...

I had forgotten all about finish at the breast, a leader suggested that to me as well when we were heavily supplementing, i preferred it b/c baby gets that 'milk drunk' and is more satisfied, i felt like DS associated that feeling with me when we finished at the breast
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    Is it really ok if I just take a break and pump and nurse only when she wants to and doesn't fight, even though it means possibly giving her more formula? I've given her more bottles today and it seems like we are both happier.
    I think what's most important is for your LO to see nursing as a good experience. If it's getting to the point where she sees your boob and starts crying, than it's time to back off a bit (this is just my opinion). I'm sure you've been given this link on getting baby back to breast but if not, it may have some good tips for your situation. In the mean time don't push it. If she starts crying, just take her off and try again later. Continue to nurse when she is sleepy. Offer the breast as soon as she's waking up from a nap or in the morning. You are doing great and I think you will find that your determination will pay off I can't say that I understand how you are feeling, but I can say that I understand the desire to have a successful breastfeeding experience. This could lead you to feel anxious at each nursing session. Try not to let it. Relax as much as possible and don't take ANYTHING personally. Keep us updated and GL

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Hi Everyone,
    Things seem to be getting worse. Today she napped without comfort nursing for the first time in a while and tonight she went to sleep without our regular long nursing session. Partly it was because I was too tired to struggle, but partly it was because she was fighting more than usual. I just don't know what's going on. I cry on a daily basis and just don't know how to get past this or why this is happening.

Sorry for not going back through and reading the whole thread but can I assume you've been in touch with a leader?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Things seem to be getting worse. Today she napped without comfort nursing for the first time in a while and tonight she went to sleep without our regular long nursing session. Partly it was because I was too tired to struggle, but partly it was because she was fighting more than usual. I just don't know what's going on. I cry on a daily basis and just don't know how to get past this or why this is happening.

Don't think of it as 'getting worse' it's just one bad day, and even a few bad days don't mean anything, things can always get better.

have you changed to a slow flow or no flow without suck nipple?
    are you still pumping when she dosen't nurse?

we're all here for you sweetie!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Hi number3,
    I have been in touch with a leader and she suggested I not give her anymore bottles. I did that and I spoon fed her, finger fed her and used the SNS on my breast. All of these things were really hard as they made us both so miserable. I feel like her nipple preference is worse since then, but maybe it's just a coincidence.

lildarlin,
    I use the playtex nurser, but if there is something better out there I would love to try it.

She's only gained 21 oz in a month so I think maybe my supply isn't up to what it should be. I think her sucking skills have really decreased. The sad part is that she wants to nurse, she keeps latching and unlatching until she gets frustrated.

Thanks again for all of this support. I really need it right now.

I didn't have Latch problems and we used Avent at first, Born free now....like i said we started with the bottles at 2 weeks, i can send you some Avent stuff if you want to try it, I don't think i have ny of the actual bottles since they had BPA, but i do have some of the VIA disposables and collars, and nipples, just let me know if you wan to try them...

what about this one:
    http://www.learningcurve.com/product/detail/Y1134A1

it requires suction and compression? Shelly (DJ's mom) also mentioned one she used but didn't give the name

keep coming back for support mama, that's what we're all her for, to support each other...

what about pumping how's that going? don't feel bad if you have to use some formula i know i used it....

ETA: don't watch weight as much as daily output mama, i worried about weight so much and now my LO is a healthy little boy, tall and slender, he's got chubby thighs but he'll never be plump it's just his build
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

The fact that your baby is at the breast most of the time is great! I think you need some BIG dose of encouragement which I totally understand! How about renting a Madela high grade scale. The kind that measures most accurately to the minus and plus 2 grams. Do pre and post weighings to see how much your little one is getting. That will help to show that baby IS getting your milk. I would love to be in your shoes right now. I think you are doing great! You might want to consider buying a hospital grade pump from e-bay. The price would probably be the same as the PIS Advanced and you would be getting a much better pump.

Continue to keep us posted! You are doing great! Give yourself a huge pat!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

lildarlin,
    Thanks for those suggestions. Do you know if that nipple/bottle that requires suction and compression is BPA free? I will look into that myself, but if you happen to know.

twins,
    That's a great idea about looking on ebay, I was reluctant to return my rental (it's already cost more than a PIS since I've had it for so long).