Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andy View Post
    It sounds like your LO may have just gotten used to the fast flow of the bottle and perhaps you may not have a supply issue at all.
    You read my mind I was just about to post this!

Babies are so smart! Is it possible that your LO is nursing until it becomes more work to nurse (maybe LO isn't patient enough to work for another letdown), and then starts fussing for a bottle? You're taking it personally and thinking baby isn't getting enough, but MOST babies will go for the fast flow of the bottle vs. the work to get another letdown! That's normal! I still think based on your pumping output that you are meeting the needs of your LO!

Sounds like your doc and ped aren't supportive, but don't let them deter you from your goals. Get new docs or ignore them and do what you know is right for your LO. Many docs don't know a lot about breastfeeding and don't realize the benefits! You're the Mom, not them, you know what's best for your LO!

As far as DH is concerned, I might be off base, but it just sounds like you need to talk and work out some breaks for you!

If you can't get support from anyone, at home or at the docs office, you have lots of mamas here that are in the same boat and can offer tons of support! You are definitely not alone!

Keep up the good work mama! It still sounds like you are doing a great job for your LO!!! Be proud of your accomplishments!!!

Hi Andy,
    I do have a scale and I did a few test weighs. they drove me nuts. A while back at 6am she got 1.6 oz and then I pumped 1.5 oz and that was pretty much my best test weigh. The most recent with a really bad feeding (probably 5 min each side). She got .6 oz. I try not to do the test weights b/c they do drive me crazy and stress me out.

hh13,
    I did talk to my husband b/c I've been pretty worn out the past couple of days and he's been a real help today. I tried to lay in bed today with LO but she's not too into it.

I see what you all are saying about being able to pump that much for her, but how can I get her to be more patient? I know that I can work on relaxing when she gets impatient. I feel a lot of this problem is this impatience/stress cycle. It inhibits my let down.

Thanks again everyone. All this support is really helpful and I'm truly grateful for it.

There is another idea about supplementing with a bottle called "Finish at the Breast Method". It's the opposite of how mothers typically supplement. I wonder if this method might be helpful to you?
    finish at the breast method

You are doing a good job caring for your baby. Here is a little info about how a father can support breastfeeding: father's role

Marianne
    LLL Leader

Hi Everyone,
    I'm bumping this b/c I really need encouragement and advice right now.
    Thanks for the tip. I feel like LO doesn't know how to suck anymore. She wants the breast, but then two sucks and no milk and she just pulls off immediately. She only nurses well in a half asleep state. I guess I'm lucky that she nurses at all. I'm really sad over this whole thing and I starting to feel really resentful over this situation. I've gained 7lbs since I was released from the hospital. I've completely neglected myself to the point where I just feel gross all day and I don't like going places b/c most of my clothes don't fit me anymore. I keep telling myself I should take a break and just pump and take care of myself, but I find myself trying to nurse her. I don;t want her to get too many supplements. I feel like I just sit around waiting to nurse my LO. I wish I could overcome this emotionally. I think it's really starting to take a toll. I cry over this so much and I wish I could get a grip.

I'm sorry your fealing so down.
    I think we all get to that point sometimes like we cann't go on.

IF you feal like you need to just pump for a few days thats ok!

Marianne thanks for sharing that link:
    I like the part about mother confidance, feeding the suppliment after the breast verses before...pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm bumping this b/c I really need encouragement and advice right now.
    Thanks for the tip. I feel like LO doesn't know how to suck anymore. She wants the breast, but then two sucks and no milk and she just pulls off immediately. She only nurses well in a half asleep state. I guess I'm lucky that she nurses at all. I'm really sad over this whole thing and I starting to feel really resentful over this situation. I've gained 7lbs since I was released from the hospital. I've completely neglected myself to the point where I just feel gross all day and I don't like going places b/c most of my clothes don't fit me anymore. I keep telling myself I should take a break and just pump and take care of myself, but I find myself trying to nurse her. I don;t want her to get too many supplements. I feel like I just sit around waiting to nurse my LO. I wish I could overcome this emotionally. I think it's really starting to take a toll. I cry over this so much and I wish I could get a grip.
    You just had a baby! It's very normal for your prebaby clothes not fit right now. Maybe gopt to a place online and get your self something new? Mommy gear has some nice after baby wear!
    And while I too am sorry that you are feeling sad, I think that your desire and determination to feed your child are NATURAL and NORMAL parts of your mothering instincts kicking in. It's instinctual to feed our young. So please dont' spend a lot of time worrying about the fact that you are continuing to try. It definitely sounds like there is some nipple preference going on. Did you look into slower flow nipples? We used these one that had a bunch of tiny holes just like your nipple and actually would stop flowing if the bay stopped sucking....let me see if I can find the name....

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks djsmom,
    I would love to get the name of those nipples. I just also don't like feeling like I'm making my LO miserable by trying to get her more on the breast. She just gets so upset.

its ok to back off a little bit..
    It just shows that you are getting to know your baby!

Is it really ok if I just take a break and pump and nurse only when she wants to and doesn't fight, even though it means possibly giving her more formula? I've given her more bottles today and it seems like we are both happier.