Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Big thank you to Xerex...

Talking Big thank you to Xerex...

....and all you other supportive mammas out there!

You may have noticed that Xerex bumped a few of her threads for me. That was because I PM'd her to get more details of her success in weaning off supplements.

The crux of her advice was....

Have confidence and stop trying too hard
    Ditch bottles and use the SNS
    Don't worry too much about how much supplement you need to give

(hope that sums it up)

Here's how it's worked for me so far...

Eleanor is 4 months and has been supplemented from 2 weeks due to dehydration and continued weight loss. By 4 weeks she must have been having mostly formula (16-18oz per day). At 6 weeks I found this site and did all the usual suggestions but didn't have the energy for SNS feeding all the time as she was so slow so about half of her feeds were slow flow bottles. Anyhow, my supply did improve some with pumping, herbs, water and oats. It was all hard work and I could not seem to get past an average of 9oz a day. So now at 4 months and on reading Xerex's threads I came to the conclusion that I wasn't to fret so much. Give as much formula as needed but only with SNS and stop pumping so much (just one session at night now).

Well it's been 2 days and what a remarkabe improvement. Only 2oz formula on day 1 and 3oz on day 2. I feel so much happier and I think that my supply is showing the benefits of that. It's only a small step to EBF. Surprisingly, Eleanor seems a little more content too, I think that I have missinterpreted boredom for hunger in the past. She's always happy to suck but I think that it was just passive rather than feeding that she was often doing. I hope that I'm right and I guess that the scales will eventually confirm!

I've had such good advice here and I thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I let you know how things go over the next few weeks. The best thing is that for once I'm feeling confident about it!
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Default Re: Big thank you to Xerex...

Awesome

keep us updated!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

That's great news!!!!

I'm so happy for you! I feel so great that my experience could have helped you so much. Keep up the good work and keep us posted mama!

Woo-hoo! Confidence is a great feeling, isn't it? I am thrilled for you.

And Xerex, thank you for using your experience to help Elelou. That's what this forum is all about.

Yay everybody!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader