Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No letdown with pump

Default No letdown with pump

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I used to have no problem pumping and getting a letdown with it (and in fact I was overproducing for a time) but now for some reason whenever I pump I can't stimulate a letdown. I'm using a Medela Pump in Style. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at the 6 month mark now so would like to be able to pump out some to mix with solids.

Default Re: No letdown with pump

How much are you pumping each time? You are probably getting some sort of letdown, but just not able to feel it. I never feel it with the pump.

One thing you can try to help with letdown with the pump is fennel. Also things like visualization, bring a clothing item or pic with you, or listening to a v/m or something like that that has your LO on it...all of those things have helped me.

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Great advice from pp. You could also try massaging your breasts or a warm compress to help with letdown.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks guys, I will try some of the things you suggested. This is just really odd for me because I actually had an overactive letdown and oversupply issues starting out, so when I used to pump through my letdown before I would sometimes get out like 3 oz. just within the 30 seconds the letdown lasted. Now though, I don't feel that "powerful" let down and I can pump for 10 minutes and only get 1.5 oz. We'll see what the warm compresses and massage do (tried the visualization). Its not a huge deal cause like I said I just want it to be able to mix some fresh milk with solids when I start them. Thanks again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mylittlehabibi View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I used to have no problem pumping and getting a letdown with it (and in fact I was overproducing for a time) but now for some reason whenever I pump I can't stimulate a letdown. I'm using a Medela Pump in Style. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at the 6 month mark now so would like to be able to pump out some to mix with solids.
    Another thought...could you be pregnant? Or, has your period returned? Some mothers find a reduction in supply at a certain point in their cycle.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thanks for posting, I'm going to piggy back here and keep checking in. I'm having a similiar problem. I've been back at work for 3 weeks now, and using the Medela Harmony. I was so excited b/c at the start, I was getting so much milk so quickly... I'd wind up w/ anywhere from 11oz to 20oz at a time! Now, I'm lucky if I get 6 and that's taking a lot of work. W/ my first son, I had little milk in the beginning from pumping and then things picked up. This time seems to be the opposite. I'm going to have to start supplementing w/ formula way more than I want to... So, hopefully I'll keep reading here and find some good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mymunchkins View Post
    Thanks for posting, I'm going to piggy back here and keep checking in. I'm having a similiar problem. I've been back at work for 3 weeks now, and using the Medela Harmony. I was so excited b/c at the start, I was getting so much milk so quickly... I'd wind up w/ anywhere from 11oz to 20oz at a time! Now, I'm lucky if I get 6 and that's taking a lot of work. W/ my first son, I had little milk in the beginning from pumping and then things picked up. This time seems to be the opposite. I'm going to have to start supplementing w/ formula way more than I want to... So, hopefully I'll keep reading here and find some good suggestions.
    You might also find some helpful ideas on the Pumping board.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader