Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Hi Marianne,
    The Dr. I go to is pretty down on formula. He wanted me to start with bananas and add avocado b/c it's high in fat so it will help her gain. I'm guessing he thinks whatever BM and formula I give her should cover the rest as far as nourishment.

Hi Everyone,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any input for how I should handle my situation at this point. Right now I'm giving my LO supplements with the SNS. My Dr. thinks it's best b/c she's at the breast. However it drives me and her a little nutty when we use it. I don't know if LO gets fussy at my breast b/c she has a bottle preference or b/c I have a low supply. If it's b/c she has a bottle preference, then I want to continue using the SNS if I can make progress. I can't tell if we've made any progress in the past two weeks with using the SNS instead of bottles. If it's due to a low supply, then I just don't see the point. I'm thinking of feeding her in the morning and at night as these are cluster feeds, and EP'ing during the day (as if I was working). Possibly comfort nurse if she wants to nap or something. What do you all think? Should I keep going with the SNS and try to improve things? Or is there no improving this situation so maybe I should just try and do what's going to make me and my LO happy?

The best thing to do is rent a Madela highly sensitive baby scale that measures plus and minus 2 grams. You can do pre and post weighings to see how much baby is actually getting of you. Also, keep a watch on baby's weight. If it is going up and baby is doing good in the diaper dept., that is good. You can look at the stools to see if they are more breastfed type rather than formula type. I do think feeding with the tube is better than the bottle if baby is getting some of you. Even just 1 tsp. has 3 million germ fighting cells (kellymom.com). Just think of what 1 tsp of tylenol does and how much more breastmilk! So keep it up and don't get discouraged. I know it is soooo hard! You are doing great mom! Continue to keep us posted.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

bump for elelou

Your story sounds like mine. I understand the heartache that wanting to EBF but not being able to does to you. I tried most of the suggestions posted with little effect. Pumping, tea, herbs, etc all helped me to produce a little more milk but not enough. After talking...and talking...and talking to my LLL conultant, she suggested I talk to my Dr. about Motilium. I have been taking Motilium for about a year and a half now. I purchase it from InHousePharmacy online but you can find it about anywere. Your Dr. can also write a Rx for it but I find it cheaper to just order online and have it shipped to me.

As with any Rx meds, talk to you LLL consultant or your Dr. before trying it yourself to make sure it is ok for you.

For me it has been a miracle! I take 3, 10mil pills at a time and do that 2-3 times a day. I can control the amount of milk that I make by the amount of pills that I take. I was able to give up supplemental bottles and EBF for the first time ever! My son is almost 20 months and I still take Motilium so we can continue on this "nursefest".

I am always willing to talk about my experience so if anyone would like to send me a private message to talk more about it just let me know.

Xerex, I sent you a private message too.

Best of luck and keep up the great work!