Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

I know that even a EBF woman has to feed her baby around the clock. I don't mind doing that or think it's the reason I can't catch up. I don't feel like I can catch up because I've tried just putting my LO to breast for a few days witrh minimal supplement and she's lost weight. Just this week she only gained 3 oz in 7 days. My Ped already showed concern over her weight gain this past month because she gainend just under a lb. I know Dr's are overly preoccupied with weight gain and that it's based on formula fed babies, but you can imagine what it feels like to think your baby isn't gaining properly. She may be a slow gainer, but I don't want to feel like I'm starving my child just because I want to EBF. I have been to an LLL meeting and I really enjoyed it, I can't wait to go back. Their advice to me was to just try and keep her on the breast as much as possible, which I do if my LO is willing.
    That actually brings me to another question lidarln. How did you determine when you needed to give your LO a bottle because I sometimes worry that I am starving her because sometimes I think she's still hungry after a feeding and would probably take a bottle, but I can easily get her smiling and not acting hungry at all so I don't offer her one. I will shortly offer her the breast, she will latch on and suck and come off, sometimes I think she's hungry but just doesn't want to try to get/wait for a letdown. I just keep playing with her for a while and offer her breast. I keep going like this until she she eats. Am I doing the right thing? I know I should be using her output as a signal of wether she's getting enough, but two days ago she only had 4 wet diapers.

Thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate everyone caring so much about my situation.

I used to lay out 6 diapars in the morning and if it got to be supper time and she hadn't wet them all I would eat a good dinner and camp out on the couch and just nurse all evening long.

is baby doing alot of crying?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    I know that even a EBF woman has to feed her baby around the clock. I don't mind doing that or think it's the reason I can't catch up. I don't feel like I can catch up because I've tried just putting my LO to breast for a few days witrh minimal supplement and she's lost weight. Just this week she only gained 3 oz in 7 days. My Ped already showed concern over her weight gain this past month because she gain end just under a lb. I know Dr's are overly preoccupied with weight gain and that it's based on formula fed babies, but you can imagine what it feels like to think your baby isn't gaining properly. She may be a slow gainer, but I don't want to feel like I'm starving my child just because I want to EBF. I have been to an LLL meeting and I really enjoyed it, I can't wait to go back. Their advice to me was to just try and keep her on the breast as much as possible, which I do if my LO is willing.
    That actually brings me to another question lidarln. How did you determine when you needed to give your LO a bottle because I sometimes worry that I am starving her because sometimes I think she's still hungry after a feeding and would probably take a bottle, but I can easily get her smiling and not acting hungry at all so I don't offer her one. I will shortly offer her the breast, she will latch on and suck and come off, sometimes I think she's hungry but just doesn't want to try to get/wait for a letdown. I just keep playing with her for a while and offer her breast. I keep going like this until she she eats. Am I doing the right thing? I know I should be using her output as a signal of wether she's getting enough, but two days ago she only had 4 wet diapers.

Thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate everyone caring so much about my situation.
    i did exactly what Andrea said as far as output watching, i never worried about poop b/c back then DS only pooped every 4-5 days

my DS was almost constantly attached, i always wanted to give a bottle as i was not good at keeping him occupied, at all! i just kept flipping him all day, he would doze off on the breast and i would sit there motionless with him on my arm for 30-45 minutes trying to get some rest, if i could go back in time, i would have laid in bed for a few days doing side lying nursing so we could both rest a little, that's what i do when one of us is sick now and i have to be home from work....anyway, with the bottles, i gave the early morning one b/c he slept through the night and i felt like he was so ravenous that i couldn't satisfy him, and the afternoon / evening ones b/c i was ready to pull my hair out form exhaustion really..... it was more for my piece of mind than his needing them, really he did have and occasionally still does have a day where he wets way less than normal, but then the next day or later that night he wets way more than normal..... lately he's been sick, cut his first tooth, ear infection, and a cold, his wets dropped but he was still nursing lots, last night he wet through two rally absorbent fitteds and a pocket diaper in a matter of 2.5 hours, like totally soaked them, i almost worried but my husband reminded me he is getting over all this other stuff.... try not to concentrate on the weight gain, my new ped doesn't even worry, DS is 'slender' to use her words.... we didn't get back to birth weight until 5 weeks and that was with supplements!!! now we gain well and more importantly we are healthy, this was his FIRST runny nose and ear infection and he caught it from my best fiend's little girl, he's had 1 other cold ever.... he's 10 months old

we are all here for you and will help you every step of the way mama, no matter what!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    I know that even a EBF woman has to feed her baby around the clock. I don't mind doing that or think it's the reason I can't catch up. I don't feel like I can catch up because I've tried just putting my LO to breast for a few days witrh minimal supplement and she's lost weight. Just this week she only gained 3 oz in 7 days. My Ped already showed concern over her weight gain this past month because she gainend just under a lb. I know Dr's are overly preoccupied with weight gain and that it's based on formula fed babies, but you can imagine what it feels like to think your baby isn't gaining properly. She may be a slow gainer, but I don't want to feel like I'm starving my child just because I want to EBF. I have been to an LLL meeting and I really enjoyed it, I can't wait to go back. Their advice to me was to just try and keep her on the breast as much as possible, which I do if my LO is willing.

You've been getting lots of good suggestions and caring encouragement from the mothers on this forum. I *love* how much everyone cares about each other.

I want to echo what some others have said--only you can decide what is right for your daughter and your self. We can give you facts and personal experiences. And lots and lots of encouragement. What we can't do is be inside your head and know how you are handling it all.

One thing I love about LLL is that we get it that *you* are the expert on your baby. We trust that mothers make the best decision given the information they have.

We will support you in whatever you choose to do.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

any updates mama, how have you guys been doing, I hope all is well with you!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Marianne,
    Thanks for your support. It does really help to have so many people routing me on. I still don't have much hope in EBF, but I am committed to giving my DD as much breast milk as possible. I know I am still giving her a lot. I just have to try and make peace with this.

lidarln,
    Thanks for checking in. Yesterday we had a good day, I only gave her 8 oz of supplement 4 of which were EBM. Today is not going too well, I've already given her 7oz (only 2oz of formula though) and it's only 2pm. I really need to work on my confidence though. A lot of times when I put her to breast I'm nervous I don't have anything for her if it doesn't com right away and I think it inhibits let downs. I wish I could get past that.

Andrea,
    I missed your post. She only really cries when she's hungry. Like if she's at my breast and frustrated and I can't get her a bottle soon enough because I rushing to get it warmed up and put on pump parts.

its good if shes not crying alot.
    Sometimes if you wait untill they are stressed and crying your not going to get a good feed, they are just too upset and its best to try some calming things with baby untill they calm down and then try again.

Things are going to get better as baby gets older!
    You'll know her beter and will know beter how to meet her needs!

Hi Andrea,
    She actually starts off ok at my breast it's just that she gets frustrated waiting for a let down. Last night was horrible. For the first time during our cluster feed/nurse to sleep time I could not get a let down. Maybe I was tired and didn't have much milk yesterday. I felt horrible, because she was trying so hard to nurse, just kept popping off and wasn't getting frustrated or crying, but I felt so bad for her because I could tell she was just so tired and wanted to nurse to sleep. I caved and gave her a bottle, but it didn't help because it wasn't what she wanted. I need to learn how to relax when I don't think I have milk for her.

EBF is NOT possible for everyone. There are physical reasons for some of us that prevent us making enough milk. One of the PPs said you are made to produce milk - this is true but blind people are made to see too. It really doesn't help us to hear that we are just not trying hard enough. In fact it hurts when you are spending every minute with your LO, baby wearing, co-sleeping taking galatlogues, feeding every hour, supplementing a little and watching you baby get skinnier and skinnier. My baby put on 6 ounces in three weeks (with some formula remember) and started to look like gollum.

Some of us have to live with the fact we can't EBF no matter how much we tried believing in it. As little as 1oz of BM once a day confers benefits and once you get calm enough about BF the baby will too and it will sooth you both...

Try everything to EBF but if you cant it can still be OK and it is NOT your fault.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.