Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

Default I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

So what would be the best way/routine to give my LO the most amount of breast milk?
    I cluster feed from 5 or 6am to 9 or 10 am and from 9-10 or 11pm. What should I do in between those hours until I go back to work?

Thanks for any input!

Default Re: I'm Pretty Sure I'll Never be Able to Exclusively Breast Feed...

lets start with how old is baby?
    and how many times in 24 hours are you putting them to the breast?

Why do you think your supply is low?

Hi andreafromohio
    My LO is 15 wks old
    I put her to breast roughly every two hours during the day and I do the cluster feeds at night and in the morning. During the day when my supply seems the lowest she sometimes refuses to nurse unless it's for comfort.
    I know my supply is low because after losing 5 oz by her two week appointment the ped wanted me to supplement and now it seems like my body can't make up the amount that I supplemented back then. I've tried everything, herbs, DOM lots of pumping etc.

It can be hard to know how much your baby is getting/is able to get from you. Are you having enough wet and poopy diapers? If so, I'd try slowly decreasing the amount that you supplement. I've been almost exactly where you are and I was able to get totally back to the breast. A lot of it is a confidence game - your body doesn't know to make more milk unless it gets the signal (lots of nursing), which it doesn't get if you're supplementing. It's a frustrating catch-22, I know. But if you have a little faith in yourself and your ability to feed your baby, you can slowly decrease the supplementing. I found when I did this that baby was just fine - monitoring wet and poopy diapers to make sure he was getting enough.

If I were you, I'd put baby to the breast as often as you can throughout the day until you get back to work - but not so much that it's frustrating baby. Good luck.

awe there is always hope you can get back on track with your milk supply...
    your baby is very young.
    here is a link from kelly moms that talks about how to wean from suppliments.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

what kind of pump do you have?

manitobamommy
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know what you mean about this being a confidence game-of which I have none now. Especially when my LO gets frustrated at my breast. This has really taken a toll on my mind and my emotions. I am so exhausted from all of this.

andreafromohio

I tried to wean my LO off of the supplements using this method and it was so stressful and depressing. At this point my mental state is the problem. I want so badly just to be at peace with this situation and come up with a solution that makes both me and my LO happy.

Thanks so much for you input!

I forgot...I'm using a symphony pump. I think I'm going to return it to the hospital and buy a pis advanced. I know it's not as good, but like I said, I don't have much hope of increasing my supply at this point.

Oh, don't give up hope! The PIS Advanced is what I used - it's definitely a good one, even if not quite as good as the hospital grade.

Have you had a visit with a certified lactation consultant? It's not too late to check in with one and see if there's anything you can improve to get the nursing connection better. Sorry if I'm going over ground you've already covered.

I'm sorry things are emotionally hard right now - I've been there too. Even if you never get off the supplementing totally, know that you are a great mother for how hard you are working at it, and every bit of nursing does wonders. Your emotional health is important to your baby too, so you do what you have to.

manitobamommy
    Thank you so much for your support and words of encouragement. Outside of these boards, it's hard to find people that can understand how difficult and important this is. I have seen a few LC's all of which have different suggestions. I went to a BF support group yesterday and the LC suggested maybe IO just give myself and my LO a break during the day since this is when she's most frustrated with my supply, and just pump every three hours. I saw another one last week when I tried to return my rental pump and buy a PIS. She talked me into continuing to try to EBF and encouraged me to pump 8 times a day. That is so difficult though at this point. i don't want to give up hope, but I don't know what else to do. Honestly it's having hope that makes this so painful when the circumstances keep knocking down whatever hope I have left. I know I sound like such a baby, but maybe I can get over the emotional torment of this situation soon. I wish I could figure out how to do that.

The thing is, it's really all supply and demand, As far as the advice you are getting and how it differs, it may depend on where people are in their commitment to see that your child gets the breastmilk as well as the bonding that nursing creates.
    You've talked about bringing the baby to the breast every two hours. How often are you supplementing and how much? Is it topping off or separate feedings? You keep talking about when you go back to work. Are you only committed to feeding the baby breastmilk until then or are you committed to pumping while at work and nursing to reconnect with your child when you get home at night?
    I can see you are doubting your self by the title of this thread. I am sorry that you are feeling that way. I really am. However, there really is no reason to think you can not get the baby all the way to the breast. You were made to breastfeed. Plain and simple. You make milk. And will make enough milk for your child if you get your child to your breast as often as she needs to eat. No matter what you have heard to the contrary. No matter who tells you it's not true. Even if the person giving you bad advice is your baby's doctor. The fact is, as long as your body get the right number of signals AND the baby is latching correctly, you will be able to do it. I wonder if the situation at the two week point had more to do with the baby not latching well enough to transfer milk than actual supply problems?
    Is your breastfeeding support group really helping to support you? Or is it a bunch of women who aren't really succeeding being told it's normal or OK? Because if you aren't being given the solid resolve you think you need to stick with it, I HIGHLY recommend you contact your local LLL leader and find your way to a LLL meeting. I find that the energy in those meeting is often very different than the "support" you find at a meeting run by the hospital or other places. You will find the energy you find coursing through these boards IRL people who you can see and touch.
    At any rate I KNOW that you can do this. I understand that it's hard to have faith and believe. Especially when you have a child that is frustrated at the breast. Begin counting diapers. And lose the supplements. It's the only way. I hear that you have tried it already. That doesn't mean it can't or won't work for you and your child. It means you dig deep and you commit to the fact that it means all day on the couch. It means some tears perhaps. Because it's much harder to get all your milk from the breast than a bottle. But anything worth having is worth working for. I can tell you that if you do the work, you will never be sorry. You will never look back on this time and think "what a waste of time. I should have never spent all that time fighting to get her EBF." The ability to feed our young is a fundamental piece of who we are. Much of the sadness you are experiencing at this point is tied to that. On your deepest and most primal level no matter what someone in a white coat is telling you or other mothers that have thrown in the towel, your instincts are telling you something. Listen to your instincts Mama. You were made to do this. Stay focused. You CAN DO IT.

Way too lazy for formula