Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refusing the highchair

Default refusing the highchair

I know there was a post somewhere on this recently...Joshua is refusing to sit in his highchair. He screams and kicks and has a meltdown every time we try. The only other seating we have is a breakfast nook, with a rap around bench that is cushioned. We can't really attach a booster seat to that, can we? It is not separate chairs.
    Now he barely eats his food, and he is climbing around like a little monkey, and climbing down off the chair, and running away. He is driving me nuts
    Any suggestions?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: refusing the highchair

C has been in a booster for a while now, we don't have this but I've looked at it in the store. Would it work?
    http://www.target.com/Prince-Lionhea...e=1&rh=&page=1
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Is it every time you try? Does he associate it with being "alone' and wants to be where everyone els is or where you are? THere is a reason and you just have to decide if it's worth figuring out (the alternative is a booster as was mentioned or another arrangement...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Or, you could you just hold lo on your lap while you eat?

I've gotten pretty good at holding a lo on my lap with my left arm around their back, and having their plate next to mine or sharing the same plate. We both eat at the same time, and it all works out prett well. If lo doesn't want to sit on my lap, then the only other option is his chair. He gets those 2 choices, and we won't let him run around the kitchen. He didn't like those 2 choices at first, because he wanted to run around and eat a bite and then fling some onto the TV in the living room and then have another bite and so forth, so we limited him drastically

Kate does this from time to time....and so does Norah! They go through phases and for them it has to do with not wanting to stop to eat.

Sometimes Kate will sit at the table (albeit she can barely see over the top.) and other times I'll give her a tray to eat on the floor. Yet, other times I'm not in the mood to be accommodating and I shove her little butt in and buckle her in before she knows what happened. She gets over it.

It is really a pain in the boot-aye!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*only.woman.in.the.house View Post
    C has been in a booster for a while now, we don't have this but I've looked at it in the store. Would it work?
    http://www.target.com/Prince-Lionhea...e=1&rh=&page=1
    We have something like this.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Pablito stopped using the high chair around 13-14 months. He never liked it. I likes being at the table with other people, he sits on his knees and does pretty well. Otherwise we have a mini child plastic table that he is also allowed to eat at, snack or whatever, when its not family meal time. We had to work on getting him to stay at the table long enough to eat something... because of that not wanting to stop and eat.

Perhaps your LO just wants to be at the table like everybody else?

We never used a highchair at all. When DS was younger we used a chair that attached directly to our table and then when DS was about 13 mo went to a booster seat.

He went through a period where he only wanted to eat sitting in my lap. It was inconvenient for me, but didn't last long.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Yep, btdt! It is really frustrating when mealtime is a challenge, especially dinner when Daddy is just home from a long day at work. We have definitely gone through phases of "whatever works" in our house. Highchair, booster seat, lap, and for a while a telephone book on a big chair...

I also find that giving a little appetizer, like a bit of fruit, to get those tummy juices seems to really help. Sometimes I think by the time he gets to the table he is too distracted by whatever he was just doing, or too hungry, and just can't focus on eating. When this happens, sitting on my lap for a few minutes and watching me eat can help - then he's ready to sit in his own chair and eat.

http://www.target.com/Munchkin-Clip-...ank&rh=&page=2

what about one that clips on the end of the table?