Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 week old fussy feeder.

Default 5 week old fussy feeder.

I am not sure, having read an article, whether or not these behaviours constitute oversupply/powerful let down issues, but I thought I would ask and see what others might think!

My 5 week old baby is going to the breast 2-4 hourly, having good wet nappies and was quite settled until this past week.

- She is crying and pulling away at the breast, choking, spluttering - not always, but often enough to be very stressful! And she doesnt just do that a the start of a feed, she can do it also when I put her back on the same side to send her off to sleep after a 2 hour wake period - as if she wants to suck, but doesnt want the milk to come out!

- She has had a few days of feeding 2 hourly, but not for long and fussing between feeds and during the feed. I presumed it was a growth spurt and her wanting more milk - but now I wonder if I was just giving her too much foremilk and making matters worse.

- She is wakeful between feeds and unsettled.

- And her stools are yellow water, rather than the previously yellow, seedy mustard that I expected.

Any ideas? I am fast feeling frustrated and not enjoying her being awake, unable to put her down! And may I ask - how long should I expect a feed to take at the 6 week mark?

Thanks! Rachel xxxx

Default Re: 5 week old fussy feeder.

hi there! in regard to the overactive letdown, i guess i would first ask if when she is pulling off and crying do you notice you are spraying forcefully? i have OALD and when my baby girl pulls off i can spray milk clear across the room! if this sounds familiar, that could be the problem. here is a great link to learn more about this problem. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html if you suspect this is your problem- you could try to spray into a towel or diaper until your spray slows down & let her suck your finger before returning her to the breast. that works for us sometimes. also try nursing uphill.

this may also help you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

as for the length of feeding- all you can do is count diapers. it really varies from baby to baby. it depends on how efficient her sucking abilities are and your milk flow also plays a part. also, it can vary as to whether she is getting "down to business" or if she wants to pull off and play or she may want to comfort nurse. there really is no set time! they do have a growth spurt at 6 weeks also so you may have some changes ahead of you! my DD got extremely fussy after her 6 week GS. i had to learn her all over again! best of luck to you- keep up the good work mommy!

I have been having the same problems with my 6 week old DD. I realized that I do have OALD and feeding uphill has seemed to help. Also taking her off and letting the milk spray into a burp cloth also helps. We've been dealing with this for about 2 weeks and she seems to be getting a little better, she now takes herself off when the flow is too fast. Sometimes she nurses fine and then becomes fussy at the end of the feeding. I've discovered that it can be one of two things, the flow has slowed down and she wants it fast again (in which case I try the other breast) or she just wants to suck and doesn't want any milk (so I give her a pacifier). I also worry about the length of her feedings. Sometimes she is done in about 10 minutes and other times its longer. I've decided that maybe she doesn't need to eat the same amounts at every feeding and I just let her decide how long she wants to nurse and try not to worry about it. One last piece of advice, don't try to force the nursing during a fussy period. Saturday night was a battle for us with me trying to get her to latch on when she really didn't want to. I was convinced she hadn't eaten enough and wouldn't sleep much. In the end I finally gave up (becuase my nipple was sore) and it turns out she slept for close to 5 hours! Unfortunately I now have mastitis in that breast and am wondering if it could be due to the fussy battles we had. So I guess she knows what she needs and I just have to listen to her. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Talking Re: 5 week old fussy feeder.

Thank you so much for your detailed replies! I cant thank you enough!

I realise in reading your experience, that no i do not have such a forceful let down.........and then thinking more about when she is particularly fussy, I think it can be when she is tired and she wants to suck but doesnt want to get milk.

I have been avoiding a pacifier to this point, my other 2 children had them, but this is my first exclusively breastfed baby and I guess I wanted to try and do without. I am wondering whether it just might make my life very much easier - although there maybe some tears before I can give it to her! Hormones!

Thanks ladies!! What a great help your insights have been!

Hugs, Rachel xxxx

I understand what you mean about not wanting to give her a pacifier. You could also try letting her suck on your finger. I do this sometimes and if it seems like she wants to suck for a long time, I give her the pacifier. It hasn't caused any problems for us. Good luck!
    Last edited by alileahart; August 9th, 2006 at 03:19 PM.