Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sippy cup

Default Sippy cup

I believe I saw a thread on here a while ago about sippy cups, but I didn't know what you mamas recommend. My lo is 7 mo. and she has one now, but she can get water from it just by chewing on it. I am afraid she will never learn to sip, because I gave her one today that she would have to suck and she just chewed on it.

What I have heard of is foogo and nuby brands. Any others or any thoughts.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sippy cup

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.sophia View Post
    I believe I saw a thread on here a while ago about sippy cups, but I didn't know what you mamas recommend. My lo is 7 mo. and she has one now, but she can get water from it just by chewing on it. I am afraid she will never learn to sip, because I gave her one today that she would have to suck and she just chewed on it.

What I have heard of is foogo and nuby brands. Any others or any thoughts.

Thanks!
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]With my other kids I used the Playtex sippy cups and liked them. My little one now who is almost 10 months really doesn't use a sippy cup. He would rather just drink from a straw. Your little one will learn to sip regardless of you using a sippy cup or not./COLOR]
    Momma to my nursling Jack

We are using a nuby flip and sip straw cup (BPA free) with DD. She's been using it since about 8mos old. I have heard that speech therapists recommend straws over sippy's.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    We are using a nuby flip and sip straw cup (BPA free) with DD. She's been using it since about 8mos old. I have heard that speech therapists recommend straws over sippy's.
    dd only likes these!
    Margo
    12 mos (ap)
    married to my sweet hunny 10/01/04
    mama to my love bunny 10/17/07
    Because of her allergies, organic vegan, no soy, grains, corn, apples, pears, yeasts,flax, celery, tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, citrus, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, honey ...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ellasmama.2007 View Post
    dd only likes these!
    My DS does too! He won't drink out of anything else, except, of course, when he gets his milk straight from the tap.

I think it was in Dr. Sears' Baby Book where I read that it is a good idea to get them practicing on regular cups as well - particularly when you are right there, e.g. sitting down for a meal or brushing teeth. When you go out you can offer sips from a water bottle with a narrow spout - helps to cut down on spillage a bit! And the straw suggestion is a good one. Don't worry too much, she'll figure it out eventually! And even if she doesn't, we all learned to drink long before there were sippies, didn't we?

DD started drinking from a straw at 5 mo, and still LOVES it...she dosen't do sippies.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

My lo loves the Munchkin straw cups from Target- she'll also drink from a sippy, but seems to prefer the straw ones. Dd has been teething since 4 mos old too, so often times she chews on the spout or straw even though she knows how to drink out of it, sometimes she doesn't want to drink, she just wants to chew.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...