Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What/When to feed

Default What/When to feed

I would like to know if this sounds like a good feeding schedule. My daughter is 9 months old and is taking about 4-6oz of pumped bm 3x day. So please let me know your thoughts...
    Wakes at 7a, I breastfeed her. (She bites me during the day when I try to nurse her, at this early in the morning she's too tired to pay attention - I know she doesn't get that much b/c I have to pump a few hours later)
    Around 8a she eats breakfast which consists of cereal and 3-4oz of fruit.
    I give her a bottle of pumped bm around 11 (after her morning nap).
    Around 2p she gets lunch (after her second nap) which is cereal again and 3-4oz of veggies.
    She gets another bottle of bm around 5p.
    Eats dinner around 7p, 3-4oz of fruits and 3-4oz of veggies.
    She usually is out by 8p, I give her another bottle of bm at this time but she rarely finishes 3 oz of it.

Does this sound okay for a 9 mo old? Her weightgain is great, her diapers are fine. I'm just wondering if she should be getting more or less bm. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What/When to feed

Hi,
    My Baby 911 book says that babies 6-9 months old should get 24-32 ounces bm, and 1-3 feedings of solids a day, so to me it sounds like you're on track. Hope this helps!

Thanks. That does make me feel better! Her 9 month wellbaby is tomorrow so I'm feeling more confident that she's doing good. Thank you!!

I would say she certainly isn't getting too much breastmilk. If she were only taking 4 oz 3 times a day, that wouldn't be anywhere near enough (half the ammount she should be getting, since until they are 12 mo babies are supposed to get 24 oz of breastmilk or formula in 24 hours). Of course, you can't tell how much she is taking when you actually breastfeed her, and you did say she will sometimes take as much as 6 oz of breastmilk.

It is great to hear that her diapers are fine. That really is the first place to look if you're wondering if there is a problem. At her age you want to be seeing a minimum of 4-6 wets in each 24 hours, and of course poops shouldn't be hard or dry.

Would it be possible to give her more breastmilk? One thing you could do if you're not doing it already is Breast Compressions duirng your morning nursing session. They help the milk flow so baby gets more milk in a shorter time. Have you tried nursing her to sleep at night instead of giving a bottle, of does she bite at that time as well?

I also wouldn't increase her solids unless you are offering breastmilk within the hour before offering the solids, since at her age she should still be filling up on breastmilk and not solids; solids should not begin to replace breastmilk until baby is 12 mo.

HTH

Could you explain more on breast compression? I would like to try that, not sure what it is. I have been nursing her more often in the mornings, she gets more active in the afternoons and that's when she starts to bite. I've also started nursing her to sleep and then she'll wake up about an hour later, I'll nurse again and then that'll be it till morning. Thanks for any info on the compression stuff!

Here is a link with lots of info on breast compressions: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Awesome to hear that she's letting you nuse her more often. Of course, breastmilk is still good no matter how she gets it, but ime from the tap is just easier. Oh, and bettre for your supply too.

Yeah and I don't have to pump either when she nurses...I love nothing more than that special time between her and I, melts my heart when she looks up at me when she's nursing! Thanks for the link too.