Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk monster at 19 going on 20 months

Default milk monster at 19 going on 20 months

My little guy is almost 20 months old. When he was little we called him the "milk monster" (kind of like the cookie monster). Well it was cute when he was a baby, but I'm just starting to feel like I wish he'd slow down already. I'm OK with not weaning for a while, but I really thought we'd at least have cut back a little by now. The frustrating thing is that he's in daycare fulltime, and doesn't have any problem - he's been happily daycare weaned since he was 12 months old. It's just at home, on the weekends, vacation, etc.

It's not just that I feel the nursing SHOULD have decreased - it's really starting to be a physical strain on me. We are mostly doing "don't offer, don't refuse", and also trying to distract him when he asks, or offer alternatives, sometimes that works, but usually he's asking again 5 minutes later. The only thing that really works is my leaving the room.

I know that he won't still be nursing in college, but it's right now that I'm having trouble. Is it common for a 20 month old to be nursing as much (or at least, as often) as when they were a baby?

Default Re: milk monster at 19 going on 20 months

oh yea... they all go threw days/weeks when they nurse more.

At that age its ok to set some limits!

One of our 1st was no you may not nurse when mommy is trying to eat supper....
    Then it was no nursing outside the house.
    And then just for nap and bed (unless her fealings realy got hurt)

And finaly not at nap just at bed.

soemtimes if you cut back a feeding or two you feal much beter about nursing in general and are less stressed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    oh yea... they all go threw days/weeks when they nurse more.
    This isn't so much about "recently" as it is just it's always been this way. I guess I was hoping by this time that he'd show some sign that he's heading in the direction of weaning, even if it will be a while before it actually happens.

At that age its ok to set some limits!

One of our 1st was no you may not nurse when mommy is trying to eat supper....
    Then it was no nursing outside the house.
    And then just for nap and bed (unless her fealings realy got hurt)

And finaly not at nap just at bed.
    I guess maybe I need to start being more aggressive with setting limits for my own sanity.
    soemtimes if you cut back a feeding or two you feal much beter about nursing in general and are less stressed about it.
    Partly it's about wanting his interest to decrease, rather than it having to be all about me setting limits. I guess unconsciously I'm looking for a little reassurance that weaning will actually happen some day.

DS changed so much between that age and 2. Some more time really might help. One thing that really helped us when I was coping with the early weeks of being pregnant and encouraging a bit of weaning was to count. If he really wanted to nurse, then I let him, but when I was done (sometimes a couple of minutes, sometimes 10 or more), I would count to 10. He could then have the other side if he wanted where I would repeat counting. Having that much control really helped me and he did fine with it. (Sometimes he would even instruct me to "count, momma" when he was done. Eventually, the sessions that I counted for the most and shortened the most were the ones that went by the wayside.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

My LO will be 22 months in a couple days, and he still nurses quite frequently too. Lately I have been saying "not now, mommy is eating" or "when we get home you can have some", and have really been trying to set limits with him. I think he is old enough to understand, that he will not get it everytime he demands it. I see no weaning anytime soon either. Some days I feel "touched out" and other days I can handle it.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

jcdandfamily, that's really comforting, thank.

The last couple days have actually been a bit better - I definitely agree that sometimes you feel more "touched out" than others.

Thanks for being there to vent to.

My lo is only 15 months but she nurses more than any baby her age that I know... ( and I know several) Most of her little friends have already been weaned. She eats solids at meals ( not the greatest though) and snacks on solids and still wants to nurse every 3 hours or so... for a total of like 5-6 times in 24 hours I dunno. Sometimes I get really annoyed with it and other times I am happy that she gets so much healthy boob juice. I keep waiting for her to lose interest too but it doesn't seem to be happening. I sort of do the dont offer don't refuse as she doesn't directly ask to nurse but she hangs on me and whines and gets really crabby when she needs to nurse so I offer.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!