Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler drinks too much water!!?

Default Toddler drinks too much water!!?

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while and hope you are all having a wonderful summer.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post but...

My DS (18 months) is drinking copious amounts of water (3 litres a day). I am still bfing but being in my 6th month of pregnancy, my milk supply is down to a trickle at best and I only bf 2-3 times a day at this point (he eats 3 meals a day now plus snacks) but his appetite is being affected by all the water he drinks- but then again, I understand they eat less in the summer when its hot....
    A urine sample 6 weeks ago showed no signs of anything. It is very hot here but still, 3 litres??! I am getting worried about his little kidneys as this has been going on for nearly 2 months.
    I also think he has an obsession with his sippy cup and maybe this is also the problem so I am changing his bottle today.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Do anyone of you use homeopathic treatment instead of allopathic? His ped gave us phosphorus 200CH in July and his thirst subsided just a little bit but is now on the rise again. She told me to give another dose today and wait 2-3 days to see if there is any change, and pending that, go for another urine test and also blood test.

Meanwhile, I change his diaper every half hour! I can't do cloth diapers anymore as they soak through within minutes.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Mimi's mum DS #1(19/2/07) DS #2 (21/11/08)

Default Re: Toddler drinks too much water!!?

if your doctor isn't listening to you its ok to find somebody who will...

If your momy gut is telling you something is going on.

Any fever?
    what about poops?

maybe hes just got an infection? That can wreck havoc on your body.

have you had his sugar levels tested?

I agree with Andrea - if you're doc is not listening to you, don't feel bad about finding a new doc (or pressuring your current doc to pay attention to your mommy instincts)
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    have you had his sugar levels tested?
    I second this! Elevated sugar levels definitely increase urination. Keep us posted, and I hope you find some answers!!
    AnneMarie
    Mom to Liana Hope
    Born 12/25/06 at 31 weeks, weighing only 2 pounds!
    Now she weighs 26 pounds
    and is the best!
    Food allergies are the pits

My dog is diabetic so I am no stranger to symptoms of elevated glucose! Actually, that was my first thought when this all began but his urine sample was impeccably clean, sugar normal.
    The dr isn't unconcerned, to the contrary, she said to get more tests done if it doesn't subside after the phos treatment- he has responded very well to homeopathy in the past, in fact I have never treated him with antibiotics etc but she isn't strictly homeopathic either, so if it doesn't work she go the conventional route too.

His poops are great, firm and twice a day. Just alot of pee though with all the water... His mood is excellent too, playful, engaged, alert, no fever. That is why I am not overly alarmed but still, the polydipsia concerns me.

I have a glucometer so I can check his fasting blood sugar I am just loath to prick him.

Thanks for your thoughts, keep them coming :-)
    Mimi's mum DS #1(19/2/07) DS #2 (21/11/08)