Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I start pumping now?

Default Should I start pumping now?

My DS is 7 weeks old and I breastfeed him every 2 hours, even at night (he doesn't sleep through yet). Each session he's at my breasts for 30 - 45 mins which leaves me with a little over an hour until the next feeding. I want to build some EBM stock for emergency but is it too early to start now? I tried hand expressing before around 10 mins after feeding but only got measly few drops and only able to collect 30ml after 2 days. However, if I wait longer before start expressing, will it reduce the amount of milk for the next feeding? Should I wait until DS sleeps longer before start building the stock? Or should I use manual/electric pump to get better output?

Default Re: Should I start pumping now?

are you going to be returning to work?

do all mothers need a pump link

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/i...necessary.html

Thanks for the link! I'm not working so the stash is more for backup or emergency. The milk production link says that milk is being produced round the clock and faster when breast is empty. If so, how come I can't get much when expressing after feeding. I'm a bit confused here ...

I found out too late that I should have started pumping much earlier. My son is 12 wks and my LC just told me that I should have started pumping at 3 wks, before my milk supply was established. Now I make just enough for his demand, and am having trouble making any more to store/freeze in preparation for going back to work. I had the same issues as you, i.e. frequent feedings making it hard to find the time to pump, and was told to try and pump off an ounce from each breast BEFORE each morning feeding (like 6am to 12p) to get the supply up. I'm also taking an herbal supplement called Shatavarian (recommended by my LC) to increase production. Fenugreek did not work for me. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by @llli*gingermom; August 28th, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

The idea is that if your breasts are "empty" (they're never completely empty), that's a signal to produce more milk. If your breasts are full, then it's a signal that you have enough. So if you've just finished nursing, then you'll be empty so it will be hard to get as much milk out by pumping, especially because the pump is not as effective as the baby. If I were in your shoes, I'd take a break after nursing before pumping. It sounds like your DS is doing well with the nursing, so he should be able to handle the occasional feeding where he's not getting as much (or as fast) as usual.

Trying to build up an emergency supply is a lot easier than pumping to build a stash for work. You can also afford to be a little more relaxed about it - so I wouldn't try pumping all the time - you could end up with an oversupply, causing plugged ducts etc. But the occasional extra "feeding" (pump session) I would think would be fine.