Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping parts question

Default pumping parts question

okay - just recieved new horns, bottles, tubing, valves & everything else but pump for my PY pump in prep for little one coming in about a month.

DO I need to sterilize these prior to use? If so, how is best to do this?

Also - if I have used bottles for PY picked up at goodwill - are these safe to use after being sterilized? How do I sterilize them?

Default Re: pumping parts question

What's PY stand for?

The packaging on my PY (Purely Yours) said to sterilize prior to use. And I think I would be hesitant to use the bottles if they were previously used, but I would be sure to sterilize if you decide to use them.

I think the directions recommended boiling in water for 20 minutes. Maybe others will pipe up, but if not I will try to remember to consult my manual tonight!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

OOH! Purely Yours. Yeah I have that pump. I'd definately sterelize before using. Just cause. I got the pump, bottles everything from a friend and sterilized everything and felt fine about it. And I knew going in that her and the youngest had a bout with thrush. So I feel like sterilizing does kill everythig....but I kinda agree w/ epbrown. I don't know if I'd use bottles if I didn't know where they'd been....
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; August 8th, 2006 at 12:19 PM.

Yes, sterilize the pump parts per the package instructions prior to use.

Many mothers find that used bottles should be fine once they are sterilized.

I agree with the pp about sterilizing your pump parts and bottles before using. Just be careful to keep everything moving in the water to avoid the risk of melting anything. I accidentally melted a bottle at the bottom of my pot one time.

Using used bottles should be fine. Sometimes I think that we, as moms, go a little overboard on worrying! Sterilizing a bottle in boiling water for 20 minutes will certainly kill anything that might have been on it! I don't even thing that hospitals sterilize surgical tools for that long!