Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What container do you use to scald milk ?

Default What container do you use to scald milk ?

Where can I buy them ?
    Also about storing in the freezer (our freezer has developed a smell)
    how can I store in the freeze without getting freezer burn ?

Default Re: What container do you use to scald milk ?

bump
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I scald mine in a stainless steel pan. I use a candy thermometer to see when it reaches 180 degrees. When it's done, I pour it into a glass container that is in an ice bath to cool it more quickly. I use Lansinoh brand freezer storage bags (they double zip) for freezer storage. Good luck!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

I use a regular, old sauce pan and heat until there are small bubbles around the edge of the pan.

Are you saying your milk has caused your freezer to smell? I've never heard of that, but I freeze my milk in freezer bags and put those in gallon, Ziplock bags to double seal them.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I scalded my milk in the bottle warmer in the medela pump bottles... later at home I transferred the milk to storage bags then put those into ziplocks and froze. hth

Does scalding work for everyone? I have been trying to scald and my baby still will not drink the milk.

Hi - I am new here, but struggling with the same lipase issue (I think). Not to ask a stupid question, but if i am trying to build up stores by getting only an ounce or two at a time, how can you scald in a sauce pan?

Last night I put a small mason jar on a rack in a sauce pot. That seemed to work, but it took longer to heat up - is that a problem? I would rather do it directly in a pot, but I do not have anything that I would think is small enough, unless I use a SS measuring cup - which is difficult to handle.

Thanks for any hints!

Oh - one more thing - I do have the medela bottles, but I would prefer not to heat in plastic - even if they are BPA free.
    Last edited by @llli*rower-mom; September 9th, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: additional information