Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly Pulls off Nipple

Default Constantly Pulls off Nipple

My 9-week old has recently begun sucking a few times, swallowing, then forcibly pulling off the nipple (ouch). He'll cry and fuss because the nipple isn't in his mouth, root for it, latch on, suck a few times and pull off again. He will do this over and over, usually after a few minutes into the breastfeeding session. I know I have plenty of milk in there, I can hand express some easily, and his nose isn't blocked. We haven't had any problems until now...bf has been wonderful.

I think he may do this because the milk flow slows down? Switching breasts or positions helps occasionally, but this is extremely frustrating to get him to eat enough, and my nipples have gotten sore. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Constantly Pulls off Nipple

hi there! there could be many reasons for the problems you and your LO are having. the best advice i can give you (from experience) is to try to relax and be patient w/ him. the more frustrated you become the harder it will be. DD started fighting me around 7 weeks and she was diagnosed w/ reflux. i also have oversupply and overactive letdown which also contributes to our problems. do you notice any other symptoms? any changes to your diet? is he just fussing at night or is it all day? this might help you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

good luck & keep us posted.

My DD does this sometimes and I usually let her do for about 10 min. (An average feeding time) but I know she will be hungry in a few more minutes. I have attributed it to the fact that she is just not ready to eat yet. So, I try to do some more alert/awake time with her to get her more worked up to eat. Try that!

Thanks for your advice, that kellymom website is great!

Exclamation Re: Constantly Pulls off Nipple

Hi Tiffany ~

My 10 week old daughter is doing the EXACT same thing and she's been doing it for the past 5 weeks. I have gone to the Dr.(twice), contacted LLL and also met with a lactation consultant...all to no avail The first Dr. recommended Mylicon drops for gas, the second Dr. prescribed baby Zantac for acid reflux, LLL suggested my daughter was "rebelling" and I need to nurse in more often and give more time to my daughter (I'm with her 24/7 as it is...I couldn't accept this answer!) and the LC thought it was thrush, to which the second Dr. strongly denied.

After spending so many hours doing my own research, I've come to the exact same conclusion as everyone else. My daughter actually thrives on the OALD and has become very impatient in between LDs and also at the beginning of feedings and towards the end. It's been VERY, VERY trying for me too and all that I can offer is my support to you and tell you the same as a few others have done...patience, patience, patience.

I'm not sure how long this will last but it's been 5 + weeks for me now and all that I do is try to calm her down, get her to focus on something else for awhile or just give her a pacifier and let her calm herself down. The longer that I let her fuss at the nipple, the more agitated she'll become, to the point of all-out screaming and tears.

good luck!

i'm glad the kellymom site helped you. it helped me a lot w/ my problems w/ dd when i was frantically searching the internet for answers one night. i can't say that our problems are solved, but at least it gave me some insight as to what could be going on in her little head! how is everything going for you now? keep us posted.