Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: About low weight.....

Default About low weight.....

At her last visit(due to a minor injury), my youngest weighed in at 15 pounds 15 ounces at 11 months which is under the third percentile on the WHO growth chart. She is running between the 15th and 25th percentile for height. Now my family doctor who usually examines her, has never said a word about her being too thin or small but as much flack as some people here catch, I didn't take her to her 9 month check up for fear of something being said. I know they do a lead test, hematacrit and TB test at her 1 year check up so I will take her in spite of my anxiety.
    I talked to a friend who used to be a family doctor but is now a hospitalist to ask why it mattered that a child's weight and height percentiles didn't match. She said that the issue is not a tall skinny baby but a baby which is short and skinny because you have to rule out the possibility that they are not getting taller because they are not getting enough calories. She said for her, if the baby falls beneath the 25% for height and is skinny, she looks into it further. If the child is meeting all their milestones, and nursing well, she might suggest adding fat to the child's diet and seeing if they gain weight or grow faster. The issue seems to be that if you are taking slightly too little calories, you survivie but you end up smaller than you are genetically programmed to be. If you are moderately calorie deprived, you end up shorter and less smart than you would have been if you have more calories. SO... they are not so hot that you have a fat baby, more that they want to be sure your baby is just programmed to be small and not getting too few calories. So take her opinion for what it's worth. BTW, she nursed her own daughter for 3 years and still sometimes co-sleeps so she is not at all hostile to the LLL position.
    So my question to you guys, has anyone ever had a small skinny older baby/toddler who actually gained weight when you added fat to their diet? For my LO, I am still nursing her 5-7 times a day and she was eating 2 meals of whatever we were eating. So I have started giving her a whole grain waffle slathered in butter in the morning and buttering any bread or vegetables she eats. I am wondering if this has worked for other people. The funniest example of this was at a restaurant when she had pinto beans with cheese and honey butter. Butter has been my best fat for her because she won't eat anything cold, such as whole milk yogurt. What has been your experience?
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Default Re: About low weight.....

what are her wets like?
    what about poops?

Sometimes when they have trouble with their poops they will stop eating so much.
    Have you tried writing down everything that she eats and figuring out callories?

Dr sears talks about that here:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031100.asp

maybe just tweaking what your feeding her will help.
    heres a chart with callorie counts for normal baby foods compared to breastmilk.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

will she eat avacado? its full of good fats for baby!

My dd is quite small for her age. She used to be in the 10-25% range when she was like 3-6 months, and then below 10, then 3, now she is below the chart. She is now 21.5 lbs at 27 months. She is proportional, measures the same % for height and weight. My ped had never had an issue with it. She says my daughter is perfectly fine, she's just small!

I'm happy I have a ped who doesn't give me a hard time because I hear a lot of stories from other moms of small kids who always get a hard time from their docs. I've even heard ppl say that their ped recommended feeding the kid a bunch of junk, like Ho-Ho's, to put weight on the kid. I think that they have it a little backwards though - the chart is just one indicator of health, so why would you give your kid unhealthy food just to get higher on the chart to show that your kid is healthy? I feel like it's like a teacher telling a student to cheat on the test so that he'll get a higher grade!
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Its hard having a smaller/skinnier child. It does seem like you get blamed for not feeding them well enough. In our experience all we can do is offer. We be sure to offer healthy, nutrient-rich foods so that Daniel isn't filling up on empty calories.

Our favourite fats are coconut oil and olive oil. You can also try grinding flax seed and adding that to some of her foods such as homemade muffins, etc. We try to offer Daniel an egg every day or two too. There are so many healthy fats and nutrients in a single egg.

I was under the impression that doctors are looking for your child to follow a healthy growth curve, not necessarily to be the biggest of their age group, KWIM?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

If my child had stayed on a steady curve all of the infancy and toddler years I wouldn't worry. I had people contantly telling me the opposite for my DD she was too big/fat - ate too much, was bigger than all the other kids etc... I always just responded with well shes not fat and so to the other stuff. some kids are bigger. she was never "fat"/overweight she always rode high on the charts and still does. at almost 14 the girl is 5' 8" and 140 lbs - well within awesome range if you ask me...

My point being there has to be people at each end of the spectrum and if she's always been there on the charts I wouldnt add anything she doesnt need to try and "fatten" her up as it could be detrimental to her health... especailly with butter... thats the last thing I'd give an infant/toddler ... we all can't be at the 50% ...

BUT to answer the one question you did pose ()

So my question to you guys, has anyone ever had a small skinny older baby/toddler who actually gained weight when you added fat to their diet?
    No... he's (DS2) not gained weight. he is just thin.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becky.holderbach View Post
    She said for her, if the baby falls beneath the 25% for height and is skinny, she looks into it further.
    Good job your friend isn't my family's doctor - she'd be mighty busy as there hasn't been anyone over the 25th centile in our family in at least 3 generations!
    Seriously though, I think that is important. My children are all small, but that's no great suprise, as so am I, my parents, my siblings and all my nephews and nieces. So it neither suprises nor worries me much that I have small skinny children. If I came from a family of generally larger people and had a small child "out of the blue" I might be more concerned.
    There's a way to calculate a child's predicted height from the parents' heights, but I'm afraid I can't remember off hand how to do it, but you could probably find it if you search on line.
    My middle child is the smallest and skinniest of my 3, and I have been worried on occasions that I might be missing something that was actually wrong with him. But our paediatrician thinks not. I did ask her about supplementing his diet with additional calories in some way, but she said it wasn't necessary. He eats a pretty good varied diet as it is though, and is full of energy and very healthy in every other respect.
    From what you've said, your daughter sounds healthy too.
    If you are worried, I think it does no harm to get her checked over though. If there is something amiss, you can do something about it, if not it will at least put your mind at rest. One thing I found reassuring is that I discovered that my son's bone age is less than his chronological age, which means that he will almost certainly continue to grow after most of his peers have stopped, and will therefore catch them up to a degree in later life. I think your little girl is probably too young to have that test done yet, but it's worth bearing in mind that growth in infancy isn't the only thing that influences final adult size. A tiny toddler won't necessarily be a tiny adult.

, I actually posted here yesterday but the forum locked up on me so I guess it didn't actually go through.

All 3 of my children have been or are EBF and they have all gained weight differently. I don't take my children to regular well baby visits so I don't I ever really know what percentile they were in except when they are really young. I do remember taking my DD1 to a checkup when she was 7 mo and she only weighed 13 lb 14 oz. I think I was told thats the 10th perc? But half of the weight must have been her head b/c her head was in the 90th perc! I never really though much of it just thought she took after her daddy. People just expect babies to be chunky but not all of them are. I remember when she was 18 mo she could eat adult sized meals and her weight would never pack on. She is now 7 1/2 years old and still a beanpole. She only weighs 42 lbs and still eats a ton. People will make comments sometimes like we don't feed her enough and its annoying but I just concentrate on feeding my kids healthy balanced meals. I'm sure your LO is getting everything needed from your BM and other amounts of food and will be plenty smart. My DD2 is a little more average in size. My current DD3 is 4 months and weighs 15 lbs.

I haven't had a problem with my dr, they haven't said a word since she says a couple words, has been walking for 3 months and in every way but size is normal over above.
    I guess I just worry because we are not a family of small people. I am a bit over 5'5" and weigh 159. Her dad is almost 6 feet and weighs over 250. Her sisters have all been over the 75% as babies, although they were thin. Then there is her, we even call her Bitty because she is so tiny. Although she is definitely growing, she is falling steadily in her percentiles. At 2 weeks, she was in the 15th for weight, at 4 months, she was at the 3rd, and now she is below the 3rd(this is usinh the WHO charts). I just don't want her to end up 4 foot 6 or something if she doesn't have to.
    She has no issues in the wet and poopy diaper department. She eats what seems like a huge amount for someone so small. This morning she woke and nursed at 8:30, ate a whole grain waffle with butter, 1/4 cup leftover mac and cheese and a handful of yogurt drops, then nursed again at 11. We are just sitting down to have lasagna for lunch which she likes.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

My son has always been small, but he did gain when we added fats to his diet. He'll probably always be slim, but that did seem to make a difference for us (kind of to our surprise, since the pediatrician had told us he would probably not gain because he'd be getting more and more active).

Becky
    Have you had her iron checked? It sounds like her diet contains a lot of dairy which can lead to anemia. If she is very active, that could have a lot to do with her skinny self. Daniel is so active, I don't think he can keep the fat on him.

When is her dr's visit? Perhaps keep a diary of her eating from now to then and show the dr. Our ped offered to refer us to a nutritionist/dietician.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)