Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night nursing, teething......wits end

Default night nursing, teething......wits end

I just don't know what to do anymore. DS is 14 months, and is teething. But he's always teething. Last night he woke up at 10 and I brought him to bed with us. He nursed on and off for an hour. Either he would unlatch and roll over and start crying or I would unlatch him and he would sleep for a few minutes and then start crying again. His latch is getting shallow and uncomfortable. I attempted to settle him a few times w/out nursing. He screams/thrashes/claws etc. He did settle once when I tried it but within 2 minutes he started again.

DH and I went to bed at 9:30 last night and at 11:00 we were still awake. DH was upset with all this and said the reason we fight all the time is b/c we never get any sleep b/c of DS. I think he resents DS b/c of this. He loves him of course, but I can understand where he is coming from. I took DS to his room (we have a crappy mattress on the floor in there) and we tried to sleep in there. The same stuff went on for at least another hour. And this continued on and off all night. I feel like crap. This is the first time we have slept in their in a while but our nights usually go something like this.

Lately when he is nursing at night all I want to do is throw him off of me. Terrible I know. I can't stand it. I can't stand him grabbing me, trying to get my other nipple, sticking his fingers in my belly button.

I really really want him night weaned but I just don't know if it would work now. I know about the Dr. Jay Gordon method. That is what I think I will use. He has 10 teeth, so that means we have 10 more to go!!!!! We had a break of about a week between teething about 2 months ago. There is never a real break, it's just one tooth after after another.

I don't know what I'm looking for here. I am just exhausted.
    Last edited by @llli*jjgj.28; August 22nd, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Default Re: night nursing, teething......wits end

Have you tried medication for your son on the really bad nights? It's understandable that everyone in the family is impacted by this. I guess some good news is that there's generally a big break between the eye teeth and the 2 year molars (about a year for us.) It's so hard when our lo's are in pain and what they want from us we have a very hard time giving.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I feel your pain mama. DDs top two molars broke through about 2 weeks ago, but for about a month prior to that her nighttime sleeping was horrendous. Both DH and I have spent time sleeping on the floor with her in her room. On nights when it's really bad we will give her tylenol and that gives us about 3hrs of peace and quiet. We thought about night weaning but everything I've read seems to indicate it probably wouldn't be successful while she was teething.
    But, after those two molars came through her sleep is much improved and we are back to 2 very quick nighttime nursing sessions. The teething won't last forever, but do what you have to do for your sanity and DHs.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Thanks.

Yeah I give him motrin. Sometimes tylenol. Never seems to do too much. I don't ever remember DD having THIS much trouble w/ her teeth. Especially after she turned 1. Don't get me wrong we always knew when she was teething it was just never this bad.

He only has 1 eyetooth and 1 molar both on top. They just cut through last week. So that means he has 3 more eyeteeth and 3 more molars before we even think about 2 year molars right? I mean it took like 2 months for these two teeth to break through. I am just overwhelmed with him.

He's not an easy child in general, let alone dealing w/ this too.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Have you tried giving him something to sooth his sore gums during the night? Maybe a washcloth that has been frozen with a corner wet with water or ebm?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I'm right there with you mama! My dd's a little older, but it's taken a long time for her to get teeth. She just finished getting all four molars the past 6 weeks or so, and now I think she's starting with her eye teeth. I can't wait to be done for awhile! She's "fitting" all the time and unsettled at night. Like you, I would like her to finally sleep at night without nursing, but there's no point in me doing anything about that till all this is over. I hope things get better for you soon!
    AnneMarie
    Mom to Liana Hope
    Born 12/25/06 at 31 weeks, weighing only 2 pounds!
    Now she weighs 26 pounds
    and is the best!
    Food allergies are the pits