Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Question Is this normal?

A time or two my husband has told me that during sex he's gotten "something" out of my breasts. I have not breastfed in about 4 years, my children are 5 and (almost) 4. He says it tastes bitter and sour at the same time. He also says that if b.o. had a taste that would be it.

Last night I was awakened by my left breast itching. It was so bad that it was almost unberable. Then it went away. When I mentioned this to my husband he said that that day he'd gotten "something" out of my breasts during sex again.

I decided to try and express like I did when I was lactating. And sure enough I was able to express what I am assuming was milk, out of both breasts. It wasn't a lot, just enough for me to see it.

Is this normal? This is the first time (except while breastfeeding) that I've had itching. I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant. So what is going on?

Default Re: Is this normal?

I think it is normal for a while after bf for you to be able to express milk. But I'm not sure about 4 years though. If you are concerned I would call your Dr.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

My mom told me she just stopped being able to express drops of milk about 5 years ago and she's 50 now. My youngest brother would have been about 17 at the time, so it would have been nearly 15 years since nursing her last baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with the previous poster's suggestion to consult your health care professional.

Good luck.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Consulting a health care professional would be the best plan I think. Sometimes discharge from the breast when not breastfeeding can be a sign of something going on with your body that needs to be checked out.

I called and talked to a nurse I know and she told me to take a pregnancy test. She also told me that stress in your life can also cause lactation. It happened to her when she was younger. So she told me to take a test and call her on Monday when I could talk to a nurse practitioner.

humm....

my baby is 5 and I know sometimes that's still happening to me.

This is a silly ? but are you having sex alot?

Well the lactation consultant that I called, called me back and she said it's perfectly normal to lactate years after you've stopped breastfeeding. She said especially when you've breastfed for a long period of time. I breastfed my daughter till she was 13 months and then 5 months later her brother was born and I breastfed him too. So I am glad it's a normal thing.

Thanks for the update!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader