Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: express to comfort?

Default express to comfort?

What does uncomfortable feel like? Hard/engorged? Other? I don't know.

I'm back at work after being out several weeks due to surgery. DS is 27 months so I am not looking to pump at work. The last few months prior to being off I had pumped once during work. But I'm a little confused. When people say express to comfort, what is that? I've been back 2 days and it's not that I feel uncomfortable or anything too much while at work although he had been nursing a lot while I was at home during the day.

I don't want to get mastitis but am not sure if I should be pumping for a few minutes at work to try to not get it. And if I should feel uncomfortable or try to express to comfort what is that like an ounce?

Help, please.

Thanks

Default Re: express to comfort?

Oh forgot to mention, DS still nurses when I come home, then before bed, and in the morning.

Trust me, you'll know uncomfortable when you feel it! The one time I got engorged (first night DD slept through) I woke up at three a.m. with swollen, hard boobs. The uncomfortableness is hard to describe- it was a little sore, a little tingly, but mostly I'd have to describe the feeling as overfull. I wouldn't worry too much about mastitis if you're not in pain. Just give your body a few days- it will VERY quickly learn to make less milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal, I had to smile. You've only been engorged once! Don't take that wrong, I've just struggled with oversupply and a sporadic nursling that I can't imagine such an experience.

Anyway, an overall feeling of anxious/ickyness, and hard/painful spots in my breasts were always good indications to me that I needed to express. I found hand expressing to be the easiest way for me to take the edge off without signaling my body to make more milk. Basically, you want to express until it doesn't hurt anymore and your breasts aren't hard (but they can still feel pretty full if that makes sense.)
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thanks mamas for sharing - I guess I am doing ok (not feeling overfull) so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    mommal, I had to smile. You've only been engorged once! Don't take that wrong, I've just struggled with oversupply and a sporadic nursling that I can't imagine such an experience.
    Not to worry. If we didn't laugh at the various curveballs nursing throws us we'd have to cry. We have had opposite problems- mine was low supply. There were many, many days when I would have welcomed engorgement in exchange for seeing my baby get 1/2 an ounce at the breast, followed by formula for her and and a round of pumping for me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"