Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing questions

Question EPing questions

Hi! I have two questions:

1. Sometimes I produce more than the 5oz Medela bottle fills (I'm using a Lactina). It's a pain to stop pumping to empty a bottle and start back up again. Does anyone know of a larger bottle I can use that would fit the Medela Lactina/Symphony shield/connector?

2. I have been engorged a few times (well maybe more than a few...) since starting to pump 10ish weeks ago. Normally I can use some massage/compressions/higher suction and within a few pumping sessions, the lump/engorgement is gone. This time, I have a lump right underneath my right nipple. I can't compress the area because it's covered by the pump shield. I've tried compressing around it, but it hasn't seemed to help. I'm worried about mastitis and I'm not sure how to relieve the problem. Any suggestions?
    Rene, first time mom to born 6/13/08

since day 1!

Donated 684oz (so far) to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio

Default Re: EPing questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elis-mom View Post

1. Sometimes I produce more than the 5oz Medela bottle fills (I'm using a Lactina). It's a pain to stop pumping to empty a bottle and start back up again. Does anyone know of a larger bottle I can use that would fit the Medela Lactina/Symphony shield/connector?

2. I have been engorged a few times (well maybe more than a few...) since starting to pump 10ish weeks ago. Normally I can use some massage/compressions/higher suction and within a few pumping sessions, the lump/engorgement is gone. This time, I have a lump right underneath my right nipple. I can't compress the area because it's covered by the pump shield. I've tried compressing around it, but it hasn't seemed to help. I'm worried about mastitis and I'm not sure how to relieve the problem. Any suggestions?
    Wow, well you're doing a good job if you fill up those bottles. I'm not sure about bigger bottles though... maybe someone will chime in. I fill up the bottles when I pump in the morning (I EP as well) but I just switch bottles. I know it's kind of a pain though.

For the lump, have you tried a hot bath or hot compresses in between pumping sessions? Try pumping as often as possible too.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I don't often fill the bottles, but every once in awhile... (You must fill a lot of bottles yourself - donating almost 5000oz!!! Amazing! )

I am confused (and have been) about how to properly use heat on the breast to assist with pumping. When I first started pumping, the nurses told me to use a warm/hot compress. So I would pump and keep a hot washcloth on top of my breast. Apparently heat applied in this manner causes more engorgement though... later I read that I should only apply heat to the nipple/areola before pumping to assist with the let down. I have never had a problem with the let down though - within a few seconds of turning the pump on the milk starts to come out. How will the heat help, where should I apply it and how hot?

Thank you!!

since day 1!

I don't often fill the bottles, but every once in awhile... (You must fill a lot of bottles yourself - donating almost 5000oz!!! Amazing! )

I am confused (and have been) about how to properly use heat on the breast to assist with pumping. When I first started pumping, the nurses told me to use a warm/hot compress. So I would pump and keep a hot washcloth on top of my breast. Apparently heat applied in this manner causes more engorgement though... later I read that I should only apply heat to the nipple/areola before pumping to assist with the let down. I have never had a problem with the let down though - within a few seconds of turning the pump on the milk starts to come out. How will the heat help, where should I apply it and how hot?

Thank you!!
    When I had a blocked duct or a hard spot on my breast, I would apply the heat to the hard area on the breast before pumping. I bought the Gerber breast compresses that you can microwave (from Target) and applied those. I have never had a problem with let down either, so I wasn't using it for that either, just for blockages. I found that a hot shower or bath helped as well.

Also, I found that I only got hard spots or blockages in the beginning, but it's been months since I've had one now, so hopefully this will just be a phase that will pass for you too.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

The cheap Gerber or generic brand bottles (the old school basic bottles) fit on the medela thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    When I had a blocked duct or a hard spot on my breast, I would apply the heat to the hard area on the breast before pumping. I bought the Gerber breast compresses that you can microwave (from Target) and applied those. I have never had a problem with let down either, so I wasn't using it for that either, just for blockages. I found that a hot shower or bath helped as well.

Also, I found that I only got hard spots or blockages in the beginning, but it's been months since I've had one now, so hopefully this will just be a phase that will pass for you too.
    I bought the compresses today and am going to try them tonight. Thanks! I hope this passes too...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruby08 View Post
    The cheap Gerber or generic brand bottles (the old school basic bottles) fit on the medela thingy.
    Excellent - thanks for the info!

since day 1!

You can get the regular Gerber, parents choice, evenflo, or even the ones from the dollar general will fit it.

Oh filling up the bottles!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

medela makes a larger bottle and the glass evenflo bottles fit too - I have 8 oz glass bottles myself (not that I pump anywhere near that much) and they are BPA free
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.