Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wake to feed?

Default Re: Wake to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Colton's Mom
    He sleeps a lot during the day - but he wakes up about every 1 1/2 - 3 hours (depending) to eat during the day. We set an alarm for 3 hours at night, but most of the time he wakes up around 2-2 1/2 hours. We were wondering if he sleeps for 4 hours once in a while if that is ok, or should we make sure he eats at the 3 hour mark if he doesn't wake up on his own (at night)?
    Again, just count the number of times he eats in a 24 hour period (and watch his wet and dirty diapers). Some newborns will do a "cluster feed" where the feed several times in 2 or 3 hours (often in the evening) and then they go for a longer stretch at night. As long as he's getting plenty to eat when he is awake, a 4 hour stretch at night should be fine.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

i would make sure my dd fed every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day. but i'd let her sleep at night. sometimes i got a whole 4 hour stretch a nurse at the hospital gave me this advice (she had breastfed her baby to age 2)--if she is going to let you sleep for a 5 or 6 hour stretch, take advantage of it! it was very good advice. the nurse also told me not to read too much, just to follow my mommy instincts. another good piece of advice!

dd never slept much during the day (to my amazement--i thought sleeping was most of what babies did at this early age). this set the tone for most of the first year. it wasn't until 10 months that dd would nap longer than 35 minutes at a time.

I agree that you have to be careful that a newborn is getting enough to eat. It sounds like he is though--that he eats frequently during the day and most of the time at night.

I woke my dd up every 3 hours to eat and I wish I hadn't. I got that advice from the hospital. If I had it to do over again (and hopefully some day I will ), I would let her sleep at night and make sure she was eating during the day. She is in the habit of waking every 2-3 hours at night now and when we first brought her home she was sleeping 5-7 hours at night. She eats every 2-3 hours around the clock.

Just make sure those wet diapers are coming!!! (Don't you love how your life revolves around discussions of what kind of diaper your little one has??)

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I think I woke up a couple of times my first baby, but my second one I don't think I did. It was rare the time he slept for more than 4 hrs, but since those first few weeks you get engorged so easily I would have my PIS accesible with all the attachments on it, those nights that he didn't wake up after 4 hrs but I started feeling uncomfortable I used the pump to get relief and let LO sleep.

But we still have to be very careful b/c they're a lot of babies that are so sleepy that not a poopy diaper nor hunger would wake them up. iI the baby is not gaining weight, not wetting enough diapers, you think you're having supply problems I would wake him up.