Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Date night and pumping question

Default Date night and pumping question

My husband and I will finally get to go on our first date night since our LO was born--he's 4 months now. I breastfeed exclusively and rarely pump.

My question is, how do I pump enough for LO prior to leaving for our date (should last ~4 hours or so) without taking away from his feeding before the date? I don't want him to go hungry sooner than usual. Do most people who pump to give the milk to a sitter while they're out pump all the required milk in one day?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Date night and pumping question

How exciting...

I have a few questions...

Will you be "practicing" with the bottle before hand?
    Will you be going before bedtime?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks for the quick response!

Yes, we have practiced with the bottle before. He takes it well.

Yes, we are leaving before his bed time.

It definitely depends on how long you'll be gone, whether baby will be asleep, etc. In general it'll be easier if you pump the milk ahead of time over several days. You don't want to stress yourself out that day trying to get enough milk. Most mamas can pump the most in the mornings. I'd pump after nursing to be sure lo gets his fill.

You can also nurse right before you leave and as soon as you get back if you find you don't have enough pumped milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yep - I was going to suggest start pumping now, maybe once each day... and then nursing before you leave as well - trying to leave as close to bedtime as posible and to decrease the chance of the need for a bottle.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks! I will try to put DS to bed a little earlier and see if he stays asleep until we return. I'll also start pumping early in the morning after nursing him to build up a stash for more future date nights!