Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's used a SNS?

Default Re: Who's used a SNS?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsarefun View Post
    baby used to nurse without the SNS but now won't do so that much. I did a pre and post weighing. Baby is only getting about 1/4 - 1/2 oz. from me. I am so discouraged. The LC that I saw said that baby is latching and suckling well with the SNS. So I don't know why the low amount. Sometimes I want to give up! Bany is sleep a lot at the breast. So I am sure that is a factor. How long did your baby take to with the SNS? Such as 30 min., ect... I get exhausted! If you did pump, how much would you get? Do you think a low supply like mine can be built up? My pm is not turned on and I can't figure out how to do it. So I have to write here. Thank you so much for your help.
    Have you considered using something to increase your supply? galactagogues

Yes, I think a low supply like yours can be built up. What I'm not sure about is why it is low. Well, what I mean is that your supply is directly related to how much your breasts are stimulated to produce milk. Because you don't have as much milk as your son needs, you supplement with formula via the SNS. Using the SNS is supposed to help stimulate your breasts, but some babies figure out how to just suck the tube and not suck the breast. Is it possible that your son is doing that?

It's discouraging that all of the LCs you've contacted seem to have little experience with an SNS or LactAid. Have you considered asking your local LLL Leader for the names of LCs who could help?

In my first post, I said that you had two issues to address, but it looks like there is only one! That's good news. Since your son latches and sucks well at the breast, you do not need to focus on that. The challenge for you is increasing your supply (which requires stimulation via baby or pump, and possibly galactagogue(s)).

You're working hard for your baby!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thank you Marrianne for the encouragement. I had a LC watch baby suckle with the SNS and she said that baby is doing what he is supposed to and is suckling correctly. So I don't know why the supply isn't increasing. It is a real mystery to me. I have met with several LC's trying to get to the bottom of this. One of them said that she has not seen a lot of women get off of the SNS and she thinks it doesn't do like what it advertises it does. What do you think about that? I was encouraged by mom of 3 boys posts and that she got off of it. I have checked with a few LC from LLL here in my area. It seems like the ones I talked about didn't have experience with the SNS. Most women supplement with bottles. I have the fenugreek and blessed thistle. Also More Mother's Milk Plus. I should take those consistently. I backed off for a while. They seem to give me a headache. I know there is the domperidone. I have concerns though about taking that or Reglan. I know they are supposed to really help though. I wonder if the herbs are just as good? I really like to stick with as natural as possible. Has anyone here heard if the Lact-Aid or SNS is better? I am really curious about that. I have both gadgets here. I like the SNS though because it is so much easier to use.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I have very little milk... like maybe a teaspoon for him to have.
    I'm mostly concerned with how to know that he's increasing my supply... I don't have a scale to weigh him and doubt it would really register at this point.

I had him finally latching with the largest tube size, and have worked down to the regular size. He drinks atleast 4 oz every time, but sometimes even finishes 5 oz. I'm afraid that if I give him the tube after he starts suckling that he'll get too frustrated and just cry because he's not getting much... I wonder if I could try slipping it out partway through?

I've noticed he takes mostly little sucks when he's nursing, and am thinking he may just be working to get milk from the tube instead of me at all. This is all very complicated business...
    SAHM to one beautiful baby
    William 3-31-08

to make milk again!

My ultimate goal: exclusively

Need all the help I can get!

Congratulations for getting baby to the breast! A big step in the right direction! Keep working on baby to suckle correctly rather than sucking on the tube. You could test things out by periodically clamping off the flow or pulling the tube out. Keep trying to pump when you can to get the supply up and hopefully baby will do some of the work by suckling correctly. Lets just keep rooting and hooting for each other here. We need the encouragement to persevere. I was talking to a consultant who said to ditch the scale right now. It will discourage while we try to get supply up. Keep us posted how progress is going!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.