Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to get back to breastfeeding...

Default Want to get back to breastfeeding...

I'm an American who has lived in Mexico the last 2 years, and my baby was born there in February via cesarean. Unfortunately, the nurses did not give me the option for breastfeeding in the hospital; they were quite forceful and insisted that I would be in severe pain because of my c-section if I breastfed. So I didn't get off to a good start. Once I got home I tried to start breastfeeding but my baby wouldn't latch on and I couldn't figure out why. I didn't want to give up because I knew the benefits my baby would have if I breastfed. I had flat nipples, so thinking that was the problem (the reason my baby wouldn't latch on) I tried every method known to man to pull the nipple out, with little success. Finally I realized (after many tears shed on my part) that a good part of the breast has to be in the baby's mouth for him to latch on (also preventing cracked/painful nipples!).

So baby and I were happy for a while, but then breastfeeding became really inconvenient. I was staying with my inlaws and because of their personal convictions, I had to go into a separate room to breastfeed. It became a real hassle because we had no privacy, and (long story short), I started to cut back on feedings and supplementing more with formula. Then at around 3 months, my baby started to become really fussy and would not stay still, so I gave up. Now I'm regretting it, my baby is 6 months old, so it's been over 3 months since I stopped breastfeeding altogether. Every once in a while I try it but my son seems to have no idea what I'm doing and he turns is head and is otherwise squirming to get out of my arms.

My question is: is it possible for me to start breastfeeding again (nothing comes out when I hand express milk)? How can I get my son to lay still long enough to attempt breastfeeding (especially when nothing comes out)?

Any advice is truly appreciated!

Default Re: Want to get back to breastfeeding...

Yes, I'm confident it is possible to get your baby back to breast at least partially. There is a forum here on relactation and you may get more responses there but I'm sure you'll get answers here as well. I don't know a whole lot about relactation, but many moms have been successful getting babies to latch on through taking warm baths together. Do a lot of skin to skin to get baby interested. I hope you get more answers here. GL!!

BTW, do you have a pump? That would be helpful in getting your milk going again.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09