Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's used a SNS?

Default Who's used a SNS?

I just received my medela supplemental nursing system and I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been.

Any tips for me?

I find DS gets frustrated because of the slow flow... do I offer some of his formula in a bottle (what he's used to) or do I just keep it up and feed more often with the SNS?

If I offer him some of the supplement in a bottle, do I do so before or after? hmmm...

SAHM to one beautiful baby
    William 3-31-08

to make milk again!

My ultimate goal: exclusively

Need all the help I can get!

Default Re: Who's used a SNS?

I have not used an SNS. Here is an excerpt from the new book, "Making More Milk": at breast supplementation

(The book is coming out very soon...)
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I used one for a bit. It definitely took some getting used to but after a couple times he did really well on it.

We used it to "train" him to eat more efficiently while on the breast at the recommendation of my LC. He was a "snacker" as she called it.

And do you mean the slow flow from the SNS or from you? When I used the SNS I found that the flow was WAY quicker (no waiting for letdown) and was really helping him stay less frustrated and therefore learn to nurse better.

Hope that helps! let me know if you have any other ?'s!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Talking Re: Who's used a SNS?

I used an SNS with my now toddler when he was a baby to help me relactate. I also used it when my current baby was first born because of low supply. We always used the SNS first before any bottles. There should be three different sets of tubing that came with the system, one slow, one regular and one fast. Have you tried using a different tube? Once my little one got the hang of using the SNS while nursing I would make him nurse first and then would slip the tupe in to give him the supplement. This helped build up my supply to the point that I did not have to use the SNS anymore. Good luck ! Any amount of breast milk that you can give your baby is great!

I was wondering how much formula did you use for the supplementer before getting your supply up? Did you pump? I used the SNS when my baby was a newborn because he was not stimulating my supply. I could only pump a little bit. My supply really plummeted. I am trying to get it back up. Baby is taking a LOT of supplement - 29 oz. of so. He is 9 wks now. Is there any hope to get him exclusively to the breast? It is hard for me to pump since I have 2 1/2 yr. old twins and am very busy. Also, do you think the Lact-Aid is better than the SNS for stimulating the supply? Momof3boys, what sized tube did you graduate your baby from - small, med., large? Thank you so much for the help! I am so desperate over here!
    Last edited by @llli*twinsarefun; August 24th, 2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: more info
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsarefun View Post
    I was wondering how much formula did you use for the supplementer before getting your supply up? Did you pump? I used the SNS when my baby was a newborn because he was not stimulating my supply. I could only pump a little bit. My supply really plummeted. I am trying to get it back up. Baby is taking a LOT of supplement - 29 oz. of so. He is 9 wks now. Is there any hope to get him exclusively to the breast? It is hard for me to pump since I have 2 1/2 yr. old twins and am very busy. Also, do you think the Lact-Aid is better than the SNS for stimulating the supply? Momof3boys, what sized tube did you graduate your baby from - small, med., large? Thank you so much for the help! I am so desperate over here!
    It sounds like you have two areas to address--(a) increasing your supply, and (b) getting your baby on the breast.

My favorite resource for info on increasing your supply is here

Finding pumping time with 2.5 yr. old twins makes it extra challenging!

Will your baby latch on and nurse? From what you said, I'm not sure if he's willing to latch on but there is not much milk, or if he will not latch on.

Here is some info about at-breast supplementation: here

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Smile Re: Who's used a SNS?

Originally Posted by @llli*twinsarefun

When my son stopped used the SNS we were using the smallest tubing. I worked backwards from "normal" to small so that he would learn to work harder at getting the milk out. I was using about two ounces of supplement every feeding. I gradually went down from 2 ounces, 1.5, 1, .5 and then nothing. I also played around with giving none in the am feeding because I had the most milk and more at night because I had the "least" milk. I also have a toddler who was 21 months when my baby was born and a five year old. I did not have time for pumping much at all. I am not familiar with the Lact_Aid but we did great on the SNS and I am SO THANKFUL. It did take some time. I worked with a lactation consultant who came to my home and put up with the craziness of my house while she helped me. YES THERE IS HOPE TO GET HIM EXLUSIVELY TO THE BREAST!! It takes a lot of work...again any amount of breast milk that you give your baby is great! You are doing a great job!

Thank you so much for writing back. My baby will comfort nurse without the SNS. He will latch and nurse properly with the SNS. The SNS seemed to kill my supply though. We were on the smallest tube, but then went to the medium since he was taking 50 min. to feed and it was so exhausting. I am going to try and go back to the smallest tube and see if that helps. I think my supply is better with the smallest tube. I just rented a Madela scale so that I can do pre and post weighings to see how much of me he is getting. In the beginning of all of this, the LC at first said he was only getting about 1 tsp. and then the second time, 1 oz. I was so discouraged! Baby is older now and seems to not be so sleepy when feeding, so I am hoping to get my supply up.

Mom of 3 boys, I am curious how old your baby was when you got him exclusively to the breast? Also, if you could somehow keep correspondence with me either here or by e-mail or private message, I would really appreciate it. I really need the encouragement right now from someone who has been through this. I have been to several LC's, but none in my area seem to have much experience with the SNS/Lact-Aid. I so desperately want to get this baby off of the tube.

Thank you so much for everything!

Annette
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

My baby was about three months old, maybe 2.5 when we were completly off the SNS. I was lucky and my LC was great. She said that she had worked with many women with my issue, low supply, who had been successful at using the SNS and finally getting baby completly off of the SNS. The biggest change for us was when she advised that I go from using the SNS right away to nursing first and then putting the tube in. It was only about two weeks or so after I started this that I was able to start lowering the amount of formula in the SNS. My LC did say that somtimes a mom has to continue the SNS until solids are started (6+ monthes) and then the milk combined with fatty solids like sweet pot. bananas and avacoda would be enough with out the supplement. How old is your baby again? Sorry about any typos I am tying and pumping.

I think that moms who use the SNS are doubly dedicated because not only do you have to work on nursing but you have to spend the time washing and preparing that darn SNS all day long! Good for you!

baby used to nurse without the SNS but now won't do so that much. I did a pre and post weighing. Baby is only getting about 1/4 - 1/2 oz. from me. I am so discouraged. The LC that I saw said that baby is latching and suckling well with the SNS. So I don't know why the low amount. Sometimes I want to give up! Bany is sleep a lot at the breast. So I am sure that is a factor. How long did your baby take to with the SNS? Such as 30 min., ect... I get exhausted! If you did pump, how much would you get? Do you think a low supply like mine can be built up? My pm is not turned on and I can't figure out how to do it. So I have to write here. Thank you so much for your help.