Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Place to pump at O'Hare?

Default Place to pump at O'Hare?

I am still breastfeeding my 18 mo daughter and pump once a day while working. I have an overnight business trip planned with a layover at O'Hare. With the meeting times, etc. I think my only option is to pump during this O'Hare layover. Does anyone know if there is any clean place to pump without being in a bathroom stall?

I have never been away from her overnight and the experience will be traumatic to say the least. I have done everything short of quitting my job to avoid this. If I pump in the hotel that morning I can probably get through the day with one additional pump. The only question is where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been on the airport and airline websites, to no avail. Thanks.

Default Re: Place to pump at O'Hare?

Hmmmm..... maybe it's worth calling the airline and seeing if there is any way you can arrange for a "one-day pass" or something like that to their lounge, you know, the one that gets used by high-milage fliers. United's is called the Red Carpet Club, for example. If it's a costly thing, perhaps you can ask your company to reimburse you for it since this is work-required travel. Call the airline and ask for customer service. They should be able to help you - hopefully they will. I would bet it won't be findable on the websites because this is a little non-ordinary (oh, that it weren't!! Many countries have "family" rooms in addition to M/F toilet facilities!) There are also medical clinics at every major airport, so perhaps you could find out a way to contact the one at O'hare and see if there is a place there that would be clean, safe and out of the general flow of traffic. OHare is huge; there must be something that could accomodate you; the trick will be to find it. Keep the faith....good luck and keep us posted!
    -linda

Some airports have a nursing/family room, you might want to call and check if they have one.

Maybe the first aid clinic at the airport?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I had to pump in some pretty wild places. What I have found is that most people will really work with you to find a private place to pump. You just have to ask with confidence like it's the most natural thing in the world. I had to pump at the airport in Miami one time. I trotted right into the American Airlines Club (didn't have a membership) and simply told the lady that I was a breastfeeding mom and asked if there was a private place with an electrical outlet where I could pump. Without any argument, she immediately showed me to someone's office.

I need to try that. I travel all the time for business and I am always juggling things in the stalls, trying not to touch anything. I really have gottne quite used to it, on the other hand, but it would be nice to have a more comfortable place.

Hi:

Sorry I'm late to this - if you haven't travelled yet - there are family lounges in O'Hare. My family recently had a connection thru O'Hare and I found the lounge in the American Airline terminal. It was easy to find - I didn't even have to ask.

Good luck and if you have already taken your trip - hope it went well with finding a place to pump as well as being away from your LO overnight