Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing to go back to work

Default Preparing to go back to work

My baby is 2 months old and I have been strictly breastfeeding. I am returning to work mid September and would like to pump at work. How do I prepare myself? I figure I should start pumping now to get a supply stored? How do I do this? With my first son I returned to work when he was 5 months old and didn't prepare before hand. I was only able to pump 4 oz for the entire day so I had to supplement with formula. Of course I would like to be able to pump as much as I can and not supplement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Preparing to go back to work

building a small stash now will help with the adjustment and give your supply time to level out...

I started pumping during naps (on the rare occasion that he took one), and after DS went to sleep for the night, if you baby sleeps through the night i highly suggest staying up 2 hours and pumping then, you won't get much at first but soon you r body will lean that this is an extra feeding and make more... my first week or two back was rough and i emptied my freezer stash but i have it back now!! there are also several threads about things to put in your pump bag and pumping tips, I'll bump some for you!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks for your reply. Right now my baby eats about every 2.3 - 3 hours. Sometimes more frequently. He was 5 weeks early so I had to feed him every two hours at first to get his weight up. He is definitely not sleeping through the night. He still sleeps better during the day and is up more at night. I have to work on that too. Any advice?

sorry no advice on STTN, it just depends on the baby, each one will do it when they are ready.... some not until they are 3 ... you could co sleep?

I also bumped some threads on pumping while nursing.... that would be a great way to get a stash going
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07