Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need success stories -- anyone with better supply the next time around?

Default Need success stories -- anyone with better supply the next time around?

Hi Mamas,

I would really love to hear experiences from anyone who had low supply issues with one babe, but better production with the next baby. Dealing with my low supply and not-so-cooperative baby has been tough . I really really really want to successfully BF my next baby and am hoping to make more milk the second time around.

Any success stories out there for encouragement??

--Deborah

PS And yes, I've sought the help of multiple LCs and my local LLL.

Default Re: Need success stories -- anyone with better supply the next time around?

I did not have this particular problem but overall my bfing experiences have improved with each child. My problems were more along the lines of flat nipples, poor latch, nipple damage, plugged ducts and infections. I learned better how to prevent and deal with these issues better with each baby (due partly to great information I received here.)

Do you know if there was an underlying cause of your low supply last time? Often a mother is "diagnosed" with "low supply" when it could have been prevented had she been given correct advice and support to begin with.

Here is some more information on how milk supply works and how to establish and maintain your milk supply.

You can do this! Every pregnancy, baby, and nursing experience is different!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: Need success stories -- anyone with better supply the next time around?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    Every pregnancy, baby, and nursing experience is different!
    My short answer is that Ally (DD1) and I struggled and our BF experience lasted until she was 7.5 months, but Katy (DD2) and I are still going strong at 9 months.

I'm still not sure exactly what happened with Ally and myself, but I've narrowed it down to these factors: 1) She wasn't a comfort nurser. She nursed just long enough to satisfy herself and wouldn't nurse any longer or more often than necessary. Some would say at 7 months she went on a nursing strike, but knowing my baby best I beg to differ. She really just wasn't interested. 2) I worked full-time and my pump just wasn't cutting it, which made it hard to keep up my supply. I still work full-time, but have a pump that works better for me. 3) I wasn't comfortable NIP with Ally so we got used to taking bottles of EBM out with us. Missed nursings = lower supply. 4) I stressed about BF'ing. This never helps. 5) Ally was sleeping 13 hours at night at 6 weeks. Most of the BM she received from this point on was pumped and in a bottle. Basically, we just had the weekends to have her on the breast.

With Katy I'm more relaxed, she wants to be close to me all the time, she nurses very frequently through the nights, and the list goes on.

So for me, yes, my supply is "better" the 2nd time around!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Thanks so much for the good words, Mamas!

My milk took over 2 weeks to come in, and even after it was fully in, my supply was never enough to satisfy my baby. He would cry after draining both breasts (I used switch-nursing and compressions to make sure he got all the milk in there)...until I gave him supplements after BF. I also met w/ 4 different LCs who weighed him before and after feedings, and all 4 agreed that supplementation was necessary. My babe is a big, hungry guy!

To increase supply, I pumped after every feeding (for 9 months). And took Reglan, Domperidone, and Fenugreek. And I tried an SNS as long as I could, and then I went to a bottle for supplementation.

I am going to think positively about next time -- hopefully I'll have more milk, and maybe a slightly less hungry baby I can't wait to BF a tiny baby again.

Here's another article with tips on how to get your milk supply off to a great start this time, like bfing within an hour of birth, rooming in, nursing on cue/demand, no supplementation until bfing is established, etc.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I can't tell you how much I wish I had connected with LLL before I had lo. So much to learn, I walked into this completely blind thinking that an hour course at the hospital was sufficient learning!!! I could kick myself Anyway, we are at 4+ months, and I am exclusively pumping at this point b/c he realized that he can get faster gratification from bottles. He will not nurse at all now, but I am still giving him the best I can give. I can't say how much this support is needed here. Thank You so much!

New Mommy to Michael 4-5-08
    and and new to the world of