Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting enough nutrients.

Default Getting enough nutrients.

I am concerned about my 6 month almost 7 month old. Since I have introduced gerber foods such as vegetables she doesnt want her cereal which is loaded with vitamins. Since she doesn't eat her cereal any more should I give her vitamins from the pediatrition?
    I have tried different ways to get her to eat it such as mix fruit in it, heat it up, you name it I tried it.
    Do you think she will be healthy enough if she doesn't get it?

Default Re: Getting enough nutrients.

It really isn't even necessary that your baby be on solids at all because your breastmilk provides all your his needs. If you choose to feed some solids right now, keep it very minimal because you don't want it to interfere with how much breastmilk he takes. Cereal really isn't all that great and not chock full of vitamins and minerals so you really shouldn't worry.

Here's some articles for you to check out that will hopefully help you and put your mind at ease.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

Check out this thread here regarding the necessity of vitamin supplements (that is they are not necessary):

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...5259#post35259

Don't forget that your breastmilk provides more nutrients, fat and calories than any food you can provide your baby!

Kellymom.com states:

"Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids."

My DD is nearly 8 months old and still exclusively breastfed (she has tasted a couple foods a few times). We are following her lead on when to start solids. Breast milk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 months, so there's no rush. Most of a baby's solid food the first year is just for play and experimentation.

As long as your little one is getting most of her calories and nutrition from breastmilk, you can be reassured that she is getting the BEST nutrition possible.

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I agree. Veggies probably have much more easlily absorbable nutritients than the ones that have been artificially added to processed cereal. Many moms actually choose not to give cereal at all, since it is mostly empty calories. Ds did get some cereal, but I never gave the rediculous amounts recomended on the box. And I knew it also wasn't nessacary. So long as your baby is nursing well, you know she's getting all the nutrition she needs.

Thankyou soooo much!!! I feel so much better now.
    I won't worry about the cereal or vitamins anymore.
    Thank you so much for your help. I hear so many conflicting views, it's nice to come here and get them straightened out!!!