Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supplimenting

Default supplimenting

Well after 5 weeks for trying, it's finally come to where my DCP only has about 1 1/2 weeks a milk left. I can only pump 9 oz per day and DS drinks about 18oz while at DC. So I will need to give formula for one bottle per day at daycare.

DS will be one on October 10th and I can then switch to cows milk I guess. I am just really sad and feel like a failure even though I try to tell myself that we've come a long way.

Anyone do this? Feel okay about it?

Also when I add cow's milk do I just add it one day like a new food, is soy or goats milk better? What the best way to do this?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: supplimenting

i had to supplement at least one bottle per day for a long time, i understand where you are coming from.

with my son, who is just a bit younger than yours, he finally dropped to 2 bottles a day at DC, and I was finally at the right spot, it was after he started a full 3 'meals' a day, and he actually upped his nursing time at home, but it all worked out....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

You are not a failure.

I had to start supplementing with formula shortly after DS started daycare. I was never able to pump enough. I hated it and struggled with it the entire time. Not that I think you should feel bad, but I understand. I just tried to put it into perspective and know that your LO is still going to be getting many benefits of BM.

Just a thought, does your LO need the second bottle at daycare? What about an extra nursing session when you are home? I'm assuming that you are not worried about your supply when DS nurses and that it is a not pumping enough problem. I know it's hard... but maybe another pumping session would help too.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Melissa that pic is so cute! Well I've added another session and still get a total of 9-10 oz per day. I was thinking of having her do 2 bottles of EBM at 5 oz and then one juice/water with lunch and then I could nurse right when I pick him up, but have formula in the rare instance when he seems really hungry
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2littleman View Post
    You are not a failure.

I had to start supplementing with formula shortly after DS started daycare. I was never able to pump enough. I hated it and struggled with it the entire time. Not that I think you should feel bad, but I understand. I just tried to put it into perspective and know that your LO is still going to be getting many benefits of BM.

Just a thought, does your LO need the second bottle at daycare? What about an extra nursing session when you are home? I'm assuming that you are not worried about your supply when DS nurses and that it is a not pumping enough problem. I know it's hard... but maybe another pumping session would help too.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You are definitely not a failure.

I was never able to pump enough so I started supplementing pretty early.

One problem you might encounter since your ds is so much older is that he may not actually drink formula. I never tried it, but I hear it doesn't taste so good and sometimes if you wait until they are older and they are used to the taste of bm they will just refuse to drink it. If that's the case you might need to look into alternatives to formula. I read some interesting info about goat's milk, that it was a good alternative to breast milk, though I'm not sure about the allergy factor.

Also, I agree with other pps that maybe by increasing his solids (especially calcium and healthy fat rich foods) while he's at day care as well as feeding him last thing before you drop him off, and first thing when you pick him up, you might be able to eliminate that second bottle long enough for him to be old enough to not need the formula at all.

As for introducing cow's milk, we did it pretty slowly and she refused to drink it for a while. She still won't really drink it when I'm around, but she drinks it at day care.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Melissa that pic is so cute! Well I've added another session and still get a total of 9-10 oz per day. I was thinking of having her do 2 bottles of EBM at 5 oz and then one juice/water with lunch and then I could nurse right when I pick him up, but have formula in the rare instance when he seems really hungry
    Sorry I think we were posting at the same time. This sounds like a pretty good plan. Also if he gets hungry in teh afternoon they might be able to hold him off with healthy snacks until you get there.

You can do this!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Sorry I think we were posting at the same time. This sounds like a pretty good plan. Also if he gets hungry in teh afternoon they might be able to hold him off with healthy snacks until you get there.

You can do this!!
    totally you can do this!!!
    I like your plan!!!
    does he self feed at all? my DS self feeds and i really think that was a contributing factor as he'd rather self feed than sit still for a bottle/spoon
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

You can do this!

If you still want to suplement with formula, what you can do is supplement just part of the bottle and start slow. So if lo take 3 6 ounce bottle and you are producing half that then do 3 bottles with 3 ounces of bm and 3 of formula. Or you can also try what the previous poster suggested as well!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Thanks! That was the day that his Grandpa introduced him to popsicles.

That sounds like a good plan. You can see how it goes and adjust as necessary. You're doing better then I did with pumping. At 10 months I was lucky to get 1 oz in a 20 minute pumping session.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.