Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What foods would you not want daycare to offer?

Default Re: What foods would you not want daycare to offer?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

I don't plan to make my list of no-nos too long, but there are some things (like hot dogs) that will be an absolute no that I know she feeds the other kids. And I'm trying to broaden my DDs food choices (she's a typical picky toddler) so I do want DCP to offer her the foods the other kids (who are all like 4 and 5yrs old BTW) are eating...within reason.

And I am going to send a long a bunch of DDs favorites like veggie/pirate booty and earth's best crackers/cereal bars, etc because I don't expect that DCP will be shopping the "organic/health food" section for these and again, she's picky, and some days the only thing I can get her to eat is a rice cake!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I think I would probably find out what types of stuff she offers before I send a list of "don't offer" foods.
    Thats what i was thinking before i even read it. She may get overwhelmed with a hudge list. I also agree with supplying a snack.
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

I don't plan to make my list of no-nos too long, but there are some things (like hot dogs) that will be an absolute no that I know she feeds the other kids. And I'm trying to broaden my DDs food choices (she's a typical picky toddler) so I do want DCP to offer her the foods the other kids (who are all like 4 and 5yrs old BTW) are eating...within reason.

And I am going to send a long a bunch of DDs favorites like veggie/pirate booty and earth's best crackers/cereal bars, etc because I don't expect that DCP will be shopping the "organic/health food" section for these and again, she's picky, and some days the only thing I can get her to eat is a rice cake!
    Maybe it would help to limit certain additives instead of making a long list like I did

Like say...things with MSG, or artificial sweeters and such, or nitrites/nitrates (in hot dogs) if those are things that you're not comfortable with your child having. That would eliminate alot of the unhealthy foods, but it wouldn't make you look like you were eliminating every little thing. For instance, if you could find a hot dog that was healthy, had no preservatives, artificial colors, msg, or nitrites/nitrates and wasn't made from "parts", you'd probably ok it, IYKWIM...though I'm not sure that hot dog exists

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*francis.breadandjam View Post
    Maybe it would help to limit certain additives instead of making a long list like I did

Like say...things with MSG, or artificial sweeters and such, or nitrites/nitrates (in hot dogs) if those are things that you're not comfortable with your child having. That would eliminate alot of the unhealthy foods, but it wouldn't make you look like you were eliminating every little thing. For instance, if you could find a hot dog that was healthy, had no preservatives, artificial colors, msg, or nitrites/nitrates and wasn't made from "parts", you'd probably ok it, IYKWIM...though I'm not sure that hot dog exists
    I think Organic Valley makes the closest thing- so if you have a child like mine that would love hot dogs, this is the best thing I can find!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Applegate Farms hot dogs are pretty good. Meaning they are organic and good ingredients. Personally I think they taste terrible. That is what buy. My kid is a hot dog junkie.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I pack breakfast, lunch and snack for DD2 and send with her to dcp every day. This eliminates the need for the no-no list. It only works so long, though. Once they get to be 2 or so, they sometimes want what everyone else is eating (the case with dd1). I try not to sweat the small stuff - if someone's mom brings in cupcakes b/c it's their lo's b-day, I don't worry about that - KWIM?

we get breakfast sausges that only have pork in them...yummy....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetiejo5 View Post
    Applegate Farms hot dogs are pretty good. Meaning they are organic and good ingredients. Personally I think they taste terrible. That is what buy. My kid is a hot dog junkie.
    Hmm, I tried those this weekend and loved them! The beef ones though, not the turkey
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Something simple like 'Nothing that comes is a "box" or "package" would be a good place to start...

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Something simple like 'Nothing that comes is a "box" or "package" would be a good place to start...

...short, simple, straight to the point
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.