Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What foods would you not want daycare to offer?

Default What foods would you not want daycare to offer?

DD is starting back up at a home daycare next week and is now eating table foods (she was only on purees when we were last there). So, DCP asked me to let her know if there's things I don't want DD to eat (like hot dogs). She feeds all 5 kids breakfast, lunch, and snack. I'm assuming there's lots of chicken fingers, grilled cheese, hot dogs, and the like since that's easy, cheap, and "typical" kid fare. We eat pretty healthy at home and I'm never around other toddlers (so I don't know what other kids tend to eat) so this is the first I'm facing this issue of what/what not to offer DD. If it were you, what would you tell DCP not to offer your LO?

My list so far:
    sugary cereals
    hot dogs
    nuts/nut butters (DD hasn't had these yet)
    juice
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: What foods would you not want daycare to offer?

Marshmallows, fruitloops, and honeybuns, fruit snacks (fruit rollups, etc...that are basically pure sugar), jello. When my ds went to daycare I found out that these things were offered
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Pop-Tarts
    Artificial sweeteners (he has a reaction to them)
    Kool-Aid and similar drinks
    Fried food
    Cupcakes, etc
    Cookies

(All of these are served at my niece's and nephew's day care center )
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; August 20th, 2008 at 08:06 AM.

Ask if they are part of a food program. NY has a state program for daycares where i am assuming they get some sort of aid but have to abide by their rules, which means healthy well rounded meals. Sometimes snack are not the healthiest but that is few nad far between!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Ugh!!! Those gross 'Easy Mac'. The kraft containers that you just put water in and stick them in the microwave Kate has a friend that won't eat anything we serve over here, so when she comes for a playdate, her mom packs her these things. They have corn syrup, msg and 2 different artificial colors in them in order to achieve the natural flourescent orange color.

I think I would probably find out what types of stuff she offers before I send a list of "don't offer" foods.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I think I would probably find out what types of stuff she offers before I send a list of "don't offer" foods.

If you give her a super long list off to start it might be overwhelming. See what you are working with first. Most likely there will be some things you won't agree on fully but you could offer to supply a snack instead, for example.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    Ugh!!! Those gross 'Easy Mac'. The kraft containers that you just put water in and stick them in the microwave Kate has a friend that won't eat anything we serve over here, so when she comes for a playdate, her mom packs her these things. They have corn syrup, msg and 2 different artificial colors in them in order to achieve the natural flourescent orange color.
    That's INSANE! I love Kraft Mac N Cheese, but not the Easy Mac. It scared me though, and I just checked the reg. mac n cheese, and there isn't corn syrup or msg in it...thank goodness I don't want to give it up...

MY list of no go foods for a dcp:

hot dogs
    Cheetos (taste good, but they're addicting for little kids...kids sometimes won't eat the rest of their lunch...just the cheetos)
    spaghettios
    Kraft Easy Mac
    Chef Boyardee...any variety
    Lunchables
    Candy (except very rare special parties)
    Chips (any kind, but especially flavored ones with msg. I could look the other way occasionally with a plain non msg variety because my kids only would eat a few...they don't like them very much)
    Fruit snacks...they aren't really fruit
    Sunny D (It's barely got any real juice in it and has added sugar. I'd allow 100% juice every few days but only one serving's worth)
    TV dinners
    Cheap chicken nuggets (where there is little meat, and fillers and junk)
    Anything with MSG
    Anything with Artificial sweeteners including Splenda/sucralose (like KoolAid Singles)
    Anything else that's higly processed
    Soda/POP

Good idea.
    You can always pack some healthy food.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

That's what I'd do, too. Other than the common allergens, of course.

Poptarts. They give those at my dd's daycare.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous