Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have an eye infection....

Default I have an eye infection....

Do the "normal" rules for antibiotics apply to eye drop antibiotics regarding what's safe when BF?

I have to see a Dr that I have never seen before because my family Dr is out today.... I printed the med list from Kelly mom to show him.

If you mamas have any experience with this, I would appreciate it
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: I have an eye infection....

Hi there,
    I am still on antibiotic drops for an eye infection - corneal ulcer . Anyway, have your prescribing doc. read the package insert for the drops and see if it mentions whether it gets into milk, contraindications for breastfeeding or pregnant mothers, etc. The pharmacist told me that antibiotics that generally aren't prescribed for nursing mothers in oral form may be OK in eye-drop form because so little is believed to get into the milk. But it seems as though there is little scientific evidence to determine actual amounts in breastmilk. I know, it's not very reassuring.

Do you know the name of the antibiotic? Since I just went through this and several ladies on here were helpful enough to look it up for me, maybe I can help more specifically!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thanks for your reply! I got drops that are related to erythromycin....I will have to go get the bottle in a little bit so I can tell you for sure, but the last part of the name is mycin. The Dr said, like you did, that there is such a low level of antibiotic in there and it goes directly into your eyes, so I shouldn't worry about it.....but can you ever help worrying about it?

What my doctor told me to do was to put my finger to the inside corner of my eye after I put the drop in, and put pressure on it. He said that could keep some of it from draining too quickly from the eye and into your system. He could be full of it but yet after each drop here I sit, finger in my eye, for at least a minute.

I know we would both prefer not to be taking anything at all, but when it comes to your eyesight you really do have to be diligent. If your particular brand of drops are related to erythromycin that's a good thing, since that is safely prescribed to women during pregnancy and breastfeeding as far as I know.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Thanks! The drops are Tobramycin. I know what you mean about not wanting to take anything....but this morning when my right eye was crusted shut, I knew I would have to take something. Thanks for your help!

I hope your eye is better soon!

What you might prevent by holding the "inside" of your eye after putting in the drop is getting some of the fluid into your tear duct and thus ending up in the back of your mouth...from whence then you would swallow a miniscule amount of it.

On another somewhat weird but relevant note, MM has antibiotic properties itself. Uncomplicated eye infections can be treated by -- yes, really -- putting a couple of drops of your milk in your eye several times a day.

OK here is what the Hale book says regarding Tobramycin:

Although small levels of tobramycin are known to transfer into milk, they probably pose few problems. In one study of 5 patients, following an 80 mg IM dose, tobramycin levels in milk ranged from undetectable to 0.5 mg/L. Tobramycin is poorly absorbed orally and would be unlikely to produce significant levels in an infant.
    It's lactation risk category L3. HTH!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09