Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to intro finger foods

Default when to intro finger foods

Hello, my 8 month old has two bottom teeth, eats really well, but I don't know when to start introducing finger foods? She hasn't eaten very lumpy food yet, I suppose I should wait until after that? Because of her bottom teeth I'm paranoid of choking. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: when to intro finger foods

We started DD with puffs (because they dissolve so quickly in the mouth) around 7/8mos then moved on to cheerios. We started slow and small and I was amazed at how well her little gums could handle food. She never wanted stage 3 foods...probably didn't like the combo of chunky with smooth. So she either gets smooth (like yogurt) or chunky (like cheese, meat, etc) but doesn't want the two combined. I was (and still am) paranoid about choking but I made sure the food was small, soft, and that I really watched her while she ate. Banana and avocado are also good choices because they are so soft.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

a lot of ladies here do baby led solids, which means they start out with finger foods and let the baby self feed from the beginning. The thing to remember with finger foods is to make sure if they swallow without chewing that they wont choke. Cutting the food in the size/shape of a french fry or even small pieces would achieve this

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We went straight to finger foods.

I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class. This will teach you what to do if your baby ever chokes.

I found that having that knowledge / skills relieved alot of the stress around my DS starting solids and that "what if he chokes" concern.

Your local Red Cross, YMCA, or community college should have classes.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

we also did puffs first round 7/8 mo. Then chunks of banana, avacado, sweet potato, squash.................she loves it all and only uses gums-we still have no teeth!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

We never did purees because DD wouldn't eat them. I started offering her foods that I would hold for her initially and then she would hold them after a time. I probably started that around 7 months; it was about 7.5 months before she started liking solids more and we moved to puffs and Cheerios right at 8 months. However, DD has a ton of teeth (7 teeth), so she's pretty good at biting into stuff.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    We went straight to finger foods.

I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class. This will teach you what to do if your baby ever chokes.

I found that having that knowledge / skills relieved alot of the stress around my DS starting solids and that "what if he chokes" concern.

Your local Red Cross, YMCA, or community college should have classes.
    Precicely what I would have written .. get signed up for one asap - No need for paranoia when the info to eliminate it is out there

(that and read the gagging vs choking thread around here somewhere)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks for all the advice, and your experiences.
    My husband and I do have our first aid/CPR, great to mention though so thank you.
    I think I just have to put some trust into the process and start.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    (that and read the gagging vs choking thread around here somewhere)
    The thread Eme is referring to.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks!!!!

I'll add this one too - good ideas for finger foods
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.