Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Physician pressure to wean

Default Re: Physician pressure to wean

how did it go today?

my friend who is a derm said she has this disseminated Granuloma Annulare and that something like Topicort would be helpful

Maybe you could find someone who is not specifically a pediatric allergist, but has experience working with children. I understand about husbands and drs, DH dubbed the first ENT we went to for DS's tongue tie Dr. Frankenstein. You have to find someone you trust. Allergy testing is pretty common for kids, maybe one of your mommy contacts knows of a different dr.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I hope your appointments went well! Please update when you get a chance...
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Our appointment with 2nd dermatologist was Friday. She confirmed the original dermatologists' diagnosis:

interstitial granuloma annulare (which allergist and initial pediatrician did not agreee with ? So frustrating....)

A skin rash, no known cause, no known cure.

We've been on topicort and desonide topical ointment? She wants us on something stronger, protopic? It stung the first 4 times we used it. 1st & 2nd derm do not think it's an allergy. I want a 2nd opinion on that. She referred us to a pediatrician in our town that I've heard of. When I called to try and get an appointment with her weeks ago, I was told she's booking 4 months out for new patients. The dermatologist got us in tomorrow morning. She'll remove the stitches from the biopsy and I'll pick her brain about allergy testing. Meanwhile, DD's rash is itchy & hive-like today.

I appreciate all of the support and everyone's encouragement and sweetness. to you all!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

I am so shocked that none of these people are even considering food allergy... it's beyond me.

let us know how it goes.. push for those allergy tests mama
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You've been though so much and still no solid answers! Have you considered seeing a naturalpath? They are covered by many insurance plans in the US and Canada. We see ours first and follow up with a regular doctor if we have to. We find she listens to our needs, respects our lifestyle choices, looks for alternatives, supports breastfeeding 100% and has environmental and social values more in line with ours. If you find a good one in your area they may have some answers that mainstream medicine has not offered you.

Next time a Dr of any kind suggests that you wean for any reason other then you and your little one are ready - remind him or her that the World Health Organization, the United Nations, the Canadian and American Pediatric Associations all advocate no upper limit to breastfeeding. I like to suggest to ignorant *@%# in the medical profession that if they know something that the WOW, UN and CPA don't know, they should really contact them and enlighten them, but to leave me alone (I know the saucy attitude doesn't help the cause at all but am jaded by a few negative experiences )

I hope that you get some answers for your little girl, in the meantime, I am sure nursing is a huge comfort to her.

I am not a doctor but I looked at the pictures and the rash looks very similar to the rash I get when I wear a bathing suit. Every place that it touches on my body I get that rash. I have no idea why. First I thought it may be the chemicals in swimming pool water but the same thing happens when I swim at sea so I am thinking it is something in the fabric.
    By the way this started when I was 27 years old so I guess it may be something your body develops late in the game.
    And I also have eczema and I get a similar rash when I use certain penicillins though I have no idea if there is any connection or not.

Probably some connection. It sounds like, from what we've learned about eczema, almost EVERYTHING aggrivates eczema.

We went to a new pediatrician yesterday and she also thinks that it's G.A.I.T. And all we can do is treat the symptoms. She is getting us into see a pediatric dermatologist at Emory in Atlanta but that will take some time.

They aren't pushing allergy testing b/c there was no evidence of allergies in the biopsy, and without any evidence of allergies the majority of the doctors we've seen, don't see the point in testing. So, by that standard, they imply that we've more or less tested for allergies, and since there's no evidence of allergies, we dont' need to break it down (w/the specific allergy testing)...

You're right. And I don't want to hear anything negative about bf'ing. You know, I'm exhausted and stressed and worried and a physician is going to call me at home and try to persuade me for 20 minutes to stop nursing DD because I'm fostering an unhealthy dependence on me? I need to empower her? I'm crying, obviously upset because on top of everything else, I certainly don't need this! But aside from all of that: do I really trust the care of my DD to someone that isn't even up-to-date on the benefits of BF'ing?!?!?!?!?

What a nightmare. But man I appreciate all the support I found here...

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

I sorry the doctors are beeing pains....!

They just don't understand what nursing a toddler is like or for.
    And That crosses the line into parenting advice not medical.

I've already said to a doctor
    "Is that medical advice or parenting advice?"
    And she did admit that she was trying to give parenting advice.