Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Physician pressure to wean

Default Re: Physician pressure to wean

The first dermatologist put her on a really strong round of steroids, she was on steroids for a month but it almost knocked the rash out. We don't want to do steroids again unless absolutely necessary.

Whatever it is that's causing the rash, she's still coming into contact with it. Unless it's something viral but I don't know...I'm starting to lean towards allergies...which I think might also help explain her near total loss of appetite. All she'll eat is crushed ice...and nurse mommy...

We've got two dr's appts tomorrow morning - we're on track for the allergy testing.

And thanks Lynn, thanks everyone, this thread has been SO HELPFUL! Thank you thank you thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*rie; August 21st, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: forgot thanks

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

you have a plan coming to form and that is great! I am not convinced it's viral at all... All my $ is on allergies...

best of luck -

what is DH worried about specifically with regard to the spt?? We might be able to offer something for you to share with him to ease his mind!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Angela - keep us posted!

Did you have a chance to read the "allergy testing 101" thread that I linked to?

Lots of good info and includes a description of what happened at my DS first allergist appointment (he was 13 mo at the time).

I've found it helps to spend alot of time talking to DS about what is going to happen at the appointment and to be HONEST about things that might hurt. I also INSIST that all the doctors and nurses talk directly to my DS and explain TO HIM what they are going to do before doing anything at all.

It can be a long appointment - we bring with us tons of books, toys & snacks. The allergists office might have a TV/ DVD player - perhaps ask and if you'd like bring along a favorite video.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    It can be along appointment - we bring with us tons of books, toys & snacks. The allergists office might have a TV/ DVD player - perhaps ask and if you'd like bring along a favorite video.

I brought snakcs too... I am always armed with snacks!!! but we weren't allowed to have them in there! I made sure to tell them they were all egg, nut, and dairy free but they didn't care... so just be prepared for that if your office ends up being the same, Angela
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

No better advise to offer but hang in there! You're litle girls is beautiful and knows she has one strong mama, who will get to the bottom of this!

!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I just went to your blog and looked at the pictures you posted of the rash. I used to get rashes like that as a kid and my Dr always said it was hives. Sometimes I had hives that were more like welts but most of the time it looked like the rash in your pictures. When I would sweat it would get worse and alot of the time it would appear in crease areas like arms and behind knees but also my butt and torso. I actually remember getting it alot on my butt. I started to get in on my breasts when I actually got some. It wasn't ever pinpointed to what I was allergic to. I was sensitive to everything synthetic and basically, well, just everything. Looking back I think I had alot of food allergies b/c I had ear infections constantly, migraines at 12, nosebleeds, etc.(good thing I was breastfed for 18mo) I was allergic to diapers too. My mom used cloth on me. The itching was horrible and seems like nothing ever helped much except for cold packs and alot of swimming in the summer. I eventually grew out of the rashes and everything else for the most part in high school. The last time I got hives was last summer when I got poison ivy and I had such an allergic reaction to the poison ivy that my body broke out in hives all over. And I couldn't take anything b/c I was 4 weeks pregnant!

Oh that's terrible! They tell me it isn't hives...thank goodness...

The allergist told me she has to be off anti-histamines for 5 days to do the test. I did read the allergy 101 link and Isksam, your son's experience - which sounded do-able! Not so bad, to hold her in my lap, facing me, making them explain the process. We did just get back from the toy store, I've got a goody bag filled with new little toys JUST for the dr's office, which hopefully will help ease the anxiety a bit, or distract her at least and we can certainly bring in her portable dvd player, good idea...I do want to get the testing done, we have to know and I've been afraid to eat anything but carrots and black coffee all day...I cannot live on carrots and coffee...and DD refuses to eat anything but ice and mommy milk.

My husband's reservation with the allergy testing? He LOATHES the allergist. I thought DH would punch the guy for telling him nursing was socially inappropriate and DD should have been weaned at 12 months. DH was livid, words were exchanged though I haven't been made privy to that...
    Husband was so angry that he went to lunch the next day, with a bunch of semi-construction workers (he's a contractor) and told all these tough, burly men what the allergist said (and of course, that I'm still nursing our DD(he's quite proud of that))...they all wanted to punch the allergists' lights out! They were ready to fight!

And DH does not want to put DD through any unnecessary testing, she is terrified of doctors (she was hospitalized with a nasty virus a while back - blood drawn, catheter, IV, etcetera and now she just recently had the biopsy). He is agreeable to the testing, if there's a good chance it could be allergies but her refuses to go back to the 'socially inappropriate' allergist.

He's the only pediatric allergist in our city, so I'm not sure what we'll do, hopefully the doc tomorrow can help.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rie View Post
    My husband's reservation with the allergy testing? He LOATHES the allergist. I thought DH would punch the guy for telling him nursing was socially inappropriate and DD should have been weaned at 12 months. DH was livid, words were exchanged though I haven't been made privy to that...
    Husband was so angry that he went to lunch the next day, with a bunch of semi-construction workers (he's a contractor) and told all these tough, burly men what the allergist said (and of course, that I'm still nursing our DD(he's quite proud of that))...they all wanted to punch the allergists' lights out! They were ready to fight!
    For your husband and all his construction worker/lactivist friends. I have no experience so no advice, but I hope you guys figure it all out soon.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rie View Post
    He's the only pediatric allergist in our city, so I'm not sure what we'll do, hopefully the doc tomorrow can help.
    Good for your husband!

Allergist directory: http://www.aaaai.org/physref/
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh my goodness, you poor thing, and your DD too.

Have you found anything to eat yet?? Do you have a health food store near?
    You will be able to find lots of things to eat there

Throwing out a few ides of things to eat that are peanut, tree-nut, fish, shellfish, egg, wheat, dairy and soy free just in case (I was off the top 8 for quite a while while we were figuring out some allergy-stuff ourselves):

I liked DeBoles brand rice pastas. "Enjoy Life" brand foods are free of the top 8 allergens. Their cookies were a lifesaver. I would also eat their choclolate chips alot. The only baked recipe I could ever really get to work with rice flour (you can get rice flour at your health food store) was this microwave chocolate cake/brownie recipe:
    microwave chocolate cake/brownies:
    1.5 C flour
    1 C sugar
    3 Tbs cocoa
    1 tsp soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 C water
    1/3 C veg oil (I used safflower oil from the health food store)
    1 tsp vanilla
    mix wet together, mix dry together, then combine and microwave for 6-8 minutes in a 8" square microwave safe dish (I used a pie plate).

You can make a "pasta" salad with a gluten free pasta or I used rice a bunch with cucumbers, tomatoes, etc pasta or rice with dressing made from (1/4 C red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tsp honey, salt and ground pepper)

The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook was helpful to me when I was going through this same thing ...Cybele Pascal is the author.

Rice Chex are gluten free now (they replaced the barley malt with molasses)....I used to buy Rice Milk by the case at Costco.

I ate a lot of hash browns for breakfast, grilled chicken or steak for dinner (marinated in a little olive oil and Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning (or Canadian Steak Seasoning from Sam's Club).

I also ate lots of green salads with home-made dressings....Ooooh my favorite was 1/3 C sugar, 1/3 cup basalmic vinegar, 1/4 cup oil, and 3/4 tablespoon poppyseeds....When I was going through this I would omit the poppyseeds though b/c "seeds" seemed very nut-like and suspicous to me . When I was craving something a little more "creamy" I made a home-made honey-mustard dressing ...I think it was equal parts of olive oil, honey, and honey mustard (like you would put on a sandwich)...I maybe added a little sugar.

Let's see, what else.....oooh one of my current favs is to bake sliced tomatoes in the oven (for a loooong time at 350 degrees, mix them with olive oil, kosher salt, minced garlic, and thyme.....yummmmm! Yummy with pasta.

You can make chili for dinner with ground beef or turkey, canned chili beans, and season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin...I use a lot of seasoning.

I like baked sweet potatoes (bake them for a long time to bring out the sweetness) with a little brown sugar and cinn.

Smart-balance "Light" is a dairy free margarine. It does have soy oil in it but....I've read that soy oil and soy letchin do not have the "soy protein" in them that causes the allergy problems. Some mamas have said that they can be a problem...we do fine with it.

While you are at the health food store...make sure to pick up some Ener-G brand egg replacer...you can use it it baked goods...used as leavening and binder rather than eggs.

Here are a few things that my LO will eat that are free of the above foods:
    Meatballs (ground meat of your choice) mixed with some prepared Ener-G egg replacer (to bind), and ground up cornflakes. I brown them in olive oil and then add a sweet and sour sauce and bake in the oven until they are done in the center...I mix them with rice....here is the recipe for the sweet and sour sauce:
    1/2 C brown sugar
    1 Tbs cornstarch (I used tapioca flour sometimes)
    1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, drained and juice reserved
    1/3 cup vinegar
    Mix b. sugar and cornstarch in sauce and, add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to make 1/2 cup, stir into sugar mixture...stir in vinegar. Heat to boiling over medium heat, boil and stir 1 minute stir in pineapple (and chopped up bell pepper if desired).

My LO also likes chicken stir fry (with veggies and chicken, I use frozen veggie mix of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower) over rice. We either use the sweet and sour sauce above or do a lemon sauce:
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup water
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 T cornstarch....mix sugar and cornstarch together and then add liquids...bring to boil in sauce pan until thickened. You can add a little oil to you LO's to boost up the fat content.

My LO also likes home-made "fries" made either with sweet potatoes or regular potatoes. Just cut them up (soak regular cut-up potatoes in a little sugar and salt water to make them crisp when they bake)....and toss with olive oil and seasonings and bake for about 35-40 minutes, turning once.

Good luck to your family.