Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Physician pressure to wean

Default Re: Physician pressure to wean

We did the SPT at about 15 mo. I'd do it again in a heart beat. I'd do it for sure if your DD was mine (given the information you've shared thus far)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I just wanted to say the rash looks like an allergy to me. My dd gets a very similar rash when she eats anything with spinich (or I did when nursing) or when they gave her amoxil. As someone who has bad food allergies I get the same rash when I get anything that has come in contact with Mushrooms. We cut out spinich and the rash went away.

Press them on the allergies. (Also could she have roseola (?sp))? My two get low fevers instead of the spike and then their entire bodies get covered in rash. It tends to go away in a week, but they keep passing it back to each other.

Nancy
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Eme or Lyn, I don't have my allergy book on hand. Could you post the foods from Joneja that are the most likely to cause eczema? I know milk, egg, peanuts, sesame, peas,... what else? That might be a good place to start for eliminations.

I'll find the dr sears link

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081800.asp

These are milk, egg, soy, peanuts, fish and wheat. Eliminate all 6 foods for 2 to 3 weeks. If you see dramatic improvement, then re-introduce each food one at a time to determine which is causing the allergy.

also I know a little gal whos trigger was vacinnes.
    She would flare with each set.
    And then as she was getting a little bit beter it was time for the next set.
    She was on formula too, so her skin was a mess.

Wow. Okay. I'm going to have to share this thread with DH. He doesn't want to do the test but after everything I've read...I think we need to do the test. I just read the Sears link...

To eliminate milk, egg, soy, peanuts, fish and wheat ENTIRELY from my diet and hers, realistically, I think would be a lot harder than it sounds. I mean, I'm eating dry cereal right now but does it have soy and wheat in it? I don't know! Could be! The safest thing to do is the scratch test. The rash appeared a month after we moved into a new house. I've had some concerns about possible environmental allergens, I guess? The house is 80 years old (restored) so I wonder about dust or mold, or who knows, but something that's related to this new house in this new city. We'll never know unless we do the allergy test. It sounds like we need to do it.

Also, just to clear something up, the physicians want me to wean because they believe it's "socially inappropriate" and because I'm "creating an unhealthy dependence" on me, (DD) is a "big girl" and I "need to empower her, not keep her a baby for my sake". Needless to say, I might have to go back to the socially inappropriate allergist but I'm going to find a new pediatrician.

You know, obviously, if she's allergic I will have to change my diet. What in the world do you mommy's eat whose children have allergies?!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Oh and yes, DD has had roseola and it looked just like roseola (again) when I first noticed it. But she never had any fever.

We're also really behind on our vaccines. We were doing the alternative schedule so were already "behind" the norm and then we moved and then she got sick. We're really behind in vaccines.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

I don't have alot to add but just wanted to send your way. Like others have said, you are doing what is best for your child by continuing to nurse and those Dr's are jerks.

It's frustrating when trying to diagnose something mysterious like a rash. I've delt w/simular situations when it comes to trying to get something diagnosed and Dr's not being much help. Whenever my kids have gotten a weird rash and I have thought about taking them to the Dr. for it my Dad always says "See the rash, Take the cash". I guess a dermatologist said that to him years ago b/c the majority of the time they can't tell you what caused it. I wish you luck.

Is it possible that your LO had a reaction to something initially and the body has just not calmed down yet? Inflammatory reactions to things can take along time for the body to heal and get back to normal. Maybe looking into an Omega 3 supplement for children would be something to look into b/c it is a natural anti-inflammatory, so is Vitamin C. Those are 2 things safe for children.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rie View Post
    You know, obviously, if she's allergic I will have to change my diet. What in the world do you mommy's eat whose children have allergies?!
    One thing the testing may help with is identifying if your daughter is allergic, and if so what foods. There's no need to cut out foods from your diets unnecessarily!

Lots of resources over in the allergy part of the forum.

My DS is allergic to: milk, egg, sesame, tree nuts, peanuts & fish
    We are also avoiding: all shellfish, strawberries, and most seeds
    Based on DS most recent round of testing, we just successfully added sunflower seeds (sunbutter) to our diet.

I can tell you honestly that the first couple of weeks pretty much sucked. Grocery shopping took 3 times as long as I read ingredient labels. I broke down and cried in the grocery store more than once. I mourned giving up some of my favorite foods. Then we figured out alternatives and I found some new foods to eat. DS and I have been avoiding all the above foods for over a year now, and it just seems normal.

Ask lots of questions!

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)