Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Physician pressure to wean

Default Re: Physician pressure to wean

I have no advice regarding the allergies, but wanted to add this http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/07/10...ain/index.html

If she does have to have any more pokes, hopefully this will help!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

This is great. Thanks for all the support and advice.

It's not only my DD's allergist that wants he weaned. The dermatologist and, then this evening, her pediatrician started in on me. She told me that by continuing to nurse I'm creating an unhealthy dependence. That the greatest gift I can give her is her independence. That if I wean her, it will empower her. I'm crying, I'm distraught, I'm being convinced I'm selfishly ruining my child. I do really enjoy nursing DD. It's my favorite time of the day. Her pediatrician told me that I'm keeping her a 'baby'. I should encourage her to 'be a big girl'.

There's all this great research and evidence and support online for extended nursing but everybody I know is telling me to wean her.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

to you mamma! I know it's not easy when everyone (including all your doctors) are not supportive and plain outright with telling you to wean. My doctors too have told me to wean for the same reasons as you (my son has had several medical problems including allergies) and I have ignored them - eliminated dairy (one of his allergens) out of my diet and continued to nurse. My son just isn't ready to wean, we both enjoy it and he nurses to sleep. In fact I just don't tell them that I nurse anymore - easier all round.

Ignore your doctors and go with your gut. YOU know what's right for your child. Hang in there mamma!

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Angela - IMO you do the research and decide what it right for you and your daughter.

I'm honestly shocked that those doctors are recommend that you wean for social reasons and not for any medical reason.

And quite honestly, they don't have the latest info from the medical experts about breastfeeding and weaning.

The following is from the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on breastfeeding.

(bold emphasis is mine)

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.
    • Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother, especially in delaying return of fertility (thereby promoting optimal intervals between births).
    • There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.
    IMO your decision whether you want to continue breastfeeding or to begin the process of weaning is entirely up to you, your husband, and your daughter.

For everybody else - it's really none of their business.

Some books you might find helpful (I checked them out of my local library):

Mothering your Nursing Toddler

How Weaning Happens

I personally never thought I'd be nursing a 2 year old ... but its clear to me and my DH that nursing is very important to our DS both nutritionally and for the security. I have chosen to set some limits on nursing because that is what works for us. Everybody knows that DS is continuing to breastfeed. I tell people (if its relevant) as a statement and it's really clear that I'm not open to others' "advice" or opinions.

I'm sorry you're going through all this!

Last edited by @llli*lsksam; August 20th, 2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typos
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

And a couple of articles from Mothering about breastfeeding a toddler:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...stfeeding.html

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...or-babies.html

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

many Doctors just don't get it. I took Joshua this morning to get his rashes checked out (exzema), and he said "you mean you still have milk coming out?"

Mothering Your Nursing Toddler is a wonderful wonderful book. It will give you such peace of mind, and great advice. I highly recommend it.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Try finding something by Katherine A. Dettwyler to read and it will really encourage you, she is an anthroplogist who I have heard speak on weaning...

Here is a link ....

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

I think it is hard to find doctors who know about breastfeeding and car seats! They aren't Lactaion Consultants and they are not Certified Child Passenger Safety Techs -- they went to medical school- and they sure know a lot about sick kids, but they don't know everything.

Okay, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I wonder, since allergies show up because of immune system response if eating peanuts directly maybe caused a big jump in her immune response, and now her body is just more sensitive to what you are eating. It might be worth talking to an allergist about the possibility. BTW, Dr. Sears also has a lot of good things to say about how nursing until your child outgrows the need actually fosters indendence.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rie View Post
    It's not only my DD's allergist that wants he weaned. The dermatologist and, then this evening, her pediatrician started in on me. She told me that by continuing to nurse I'm creating an unhealthy dependence. That the greatest gift I can give her is her independence. That if I wean her, it will empower her. I'm crying, I'm distraught, I'm being convinced I'm selfishly ruining my child.
    The doctors are giving you parenting advice not medical. The amount of time that they learn about BFing in school is very little. Remember older doctors are more likely to feel weaning is right because 6 months use to be a long time for woman to BF. Weaning is a gradual process and you are weaning because you child eats foods. It will not cause your child to be dependant. However abrubt weaning could cause your child to regress and become more needy in other ways. Would you take a security blanket away because the doctor said it was causing her to be dependant? Of coarse not! Weaning is one thing you can not focus on right now. From what I read on one of your other post she tends to not feel well and doesn't eat well when she has an outbreak of the rash so the fact that she is receiving BM is great for her. As far as the rash I would agree with the PP on elimination diet starting with the most allergenic stuff, like the peanuts. From what I remember nuts should not be given until 2 years, not regarding thru BM. Honey can be a big allergenic food too. Keep us updated on what you find and we will pray for an answer.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

sorry you're having to go through your DD's health problems and on top of that having to endure completely unfounded and inappropriate 'advice' from medical professionals... it makes me sooo mad.

Definitely get hold of 'Mothering your nursing toddler', it will help you feel a lot more confident about your choice of extended nursing.
    There's also a book called 'our babies, our selves', by an anthropologist who also cites the work of Dettwyler, or check her webpage (not sure if other pp gave the link: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html)

Not sure if this is for you, but have you considered alternative therapies for treating allergies? like homeopathy? you may be able to find a much more sympathetic person and equally effective treatment with no side effects of steroids.