Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Physician pressure to wean

Default Re: Physician pressure to wean

Thank you. I am going to continue nursing her for all of the reasons cited above and because I know it's what's best for our famly.

I'm sensitive and the doctors have been wearing me down but I've got to toughen up!

In all actuality, I've got to wonder about a pediatrician that is advising me to stop nursing. DD has a terrible, mysterious rash, I need the best medical experts, I don't need someone whose research and education is so dated that she isn't even familiar with the benefits of extended breastfeeding.

I am going to the library and I'm checking out those books. Thank you for the support and advice. It is greatly appreciated. I will keep you posted.
    So far, the doctors are all stumped as to what is causing the rash.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Best of luck to you and your precious LO! You're an awesome mama!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Find another allergist. Demand some testing. Seriously. Obviously something is causing that rash and allergies would be my first guess.
    WE are struggling to figure out what and if my daughter has allergies. ( she gets rashes and spits up after certain foods) After 2 peds blew me off I made my own appointment with an allergist in Boston.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Im sorry youre having a rough time- i agree with you though that you need to find a better doc one that will take the time to listen to you and find out whats wrong with your DD.

BTW- shes a cutie!
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

sorry to be blunt and possibly harsh, but when I hear things like the one you've been told my blood boils (I don't know if this makes sense in English, in my language means a rash of rage coming up...):
    socially inappropriate?? did you go to the doctor for an etiquette lesson??
    and by the way... you are not nursing your toddler open air, exposed and aggressively placing yourself in front of people who don't want to see you...
    chances are, I would have told the doctor, that most of the things you do in bed with your wife are considered socially inappropriate too, but as long as they stay in your household, it's none of my business...
    forgive my roughness, I'm just ranting, the thing is that even a confident mama like you started doubting, and that's what makes me sooo mad: here on the forum we are all people who want to be informed and make aware, conscious choices, still we fall into doubts when 'authorities' (I mean people with an authoritative position) tell us certain things: can you imagine what happens to people who can't, for one reason or another (lack of education, lack of opportunities, etc), get more/different information? first they follow the advice, and what's worst they might also feel bad or guilty for having done differently till that point... now, doctor, that's "abuse of position", THAT's socially inappropriate!! aaargh! (sorry... )

of course, GOOD LUCK with the rash, hope you'll solve the situation soon! s
    Last edited by @llli*panzona; August 20th, 2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot to say i'm sorry about the rash and hope it clears soon!!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*panzona View Post
    sorry to be blunt and possibly harsh, but when I hear things like the one you've been told my blood boils (I don't know if this makes sense in English, in my language means a rash of rage coming up...):
    socially inappropriate?? did you go to the doctor for an etiquette lesson??
    and by the way... you are not nursing your toddler open air, exposed and aggressively placing yourself in front of people who don't want to see you...
    chances are, I would have told the doctor, that most of the things you do in bed with your wife are considered socially inappropriate too, but as long as they stay in your hausehold, it's none of my business...
    forgive my roughness, I'm just venting, the thing is that even a confident mama like you started doubting, and that's what makes me sooo mad: here on the forum we are all people who want to be informed and make aware, conscious choices, still we fall into doubts when 'authorities' (I mean people with an authoritative position) tell us certain things: can you imagine what happens to people who can't, for one reason or another (lack of education, lack of opportunities, etc), get more/different information? first they follow the advice, and what's worst they might also feel bad or guilty for having done differently till that point... now, doctor, that's "abuse of position", THAT's socially inappropriate!! aaargh! (sorry... )
    I would ask them SPECIFICALLY what could be coming from you that could cause rash other than food your eating. I would be interested in knowing what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    I would ask them SPECIFICALLY what could be coming from you that could cause rash other than food your eating. I would be interested in knowing what they have to say.
    Very very good point. If not allergies, then why would bfing have anything to do with it?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you!!!

But I have a question: According to the dermatologist there is no chance that the rash in an allergy (the biopsy didn't reveal any ISP(?)). The allergist and the pediatrician disagree, they say there is a slight chance. The scratch allergy test, well, I hate to put her through that unless there's a good chance it is an allergy. I know very little about allergies, I'm starting to learn more and I so appreciate all of the links ya'll have shared. I just don't want her traumatized AGAIN! If she was your DD, you'd do the allergy test?

On another note, I managed to get her in to see a new pediatrician (suppose to be the best in the city, I've tried unsuccessfully now for 3 months to get her in. I said something right today - all the support has me feeling empowered), we're getting a 2nd derm. opinion Friday am.

Thanks ladies! to you all!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

the scratch test isn't that bad. And if it shows an allergy imagine all the tests she wont have to do, kwim? I would go ahead with the scratch test, but that's just me.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

We had the skin prick test done on DS when he was 22 months old. It honestly wasn't that bad. He was more upset that he couldn't see what the nurses were doing on his back than he was about the actual pain/discomfort from the stick themselves.

Good luck mama and good for you for continuing to nurse!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!