Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Physician pressure to wean

Default Physician pressure to wean

My DD has had a mysterious rash for 3 months. We have seen pediatricians, a dermatologist and an allergist.

The rash has been biopsed and we're still no closer to having a diagnosis. Her dermatologist wants to start her on another round of radical steroids, her pediatrician is against that. We saw an allergist this morning, have delayed allergy testing and are seeing another dermatologist for 2nd opinion later this week.

DD is 20 months. She still nurses to sleep at night and at nap time. Because of this itchy rash, she has a miserable time falling asleep and staying asleep. She has hardly any appetite during the day at all. Her only comfort is nursing.

All of the physicians we've seen have tried to persuade me to stop nursing, so that we can rule that out as something coming from me that could be causing the rash. I am loathe to give that up. She's having such a hard time as it is and to wean her at this point seems cruel almost...UNLESS I somehow am contributing to her rash, then I'm being selfish, right? This morning when I left the doctor's office with our hysterical DD, my husband remained, discussing treatment options. The doctor told him flat out that DD is receiving nothing nutritional by continuing to nurse and that it is social inappropriate.

I'm looking for advice/suggestions.

Thanks!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Physician pressure to wean

I'd first start thinking allergies.

Why did they decide to delay doing allergy testing?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Angela, I have no advice regarding your situation. However, your doctor is a turd for saying that BF'ing is socially inappropriate. What gives him the right? I would find someone who was more sympathetic to your situation. Good luck and hope your LO feels better soon.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Have you gone through any elimination diet??

Oh by the by - I'd fire that doctor AND educate him about the continued benefits of nursing.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I missed the part about the doc saying bf after one was not nutritional & socially inappropriate.

Fact sheet on extended breastfeeding - may have useful info for you.

My DS has multiple food allergies and our medical team (pediatrician, allergist & dietitian) are APPLAUDING me for continuing to bf my 25 mo old DS because it's such a great source of nutrition (as well as all those other things unique to breastmilk).

Info on nutrition for nursing toddlers.
    Lynn

It does seem like allergies should be looked at more closely. If it is something you are eating then I would think the docs could help you figure that out and eliminate it from your diet or something rather than just stop bfing.

Mama! That doctor is a complete jerk and 100% wrong and out of line. I'd like to see him have the gall to say that to your face. He's socially inappropriate!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Lynn

I just sat down to read responses with my routine cup of afternoon coffee and peanut butter coffee cake. I took a bite, read the posts and wanted to die. Could it be the peanut butter in the cake? I have eaten it everyday, twice a day since DD was an infant. Is it possible that three months ago she developed an allergic reaction to peanuts? Now that I think hard about it...we were at my parents house the day before the rash first appeared and they were feeding her peanuts. She devoured them. I told them to stop b/c I was afraid of her choking. Could she be allergic to peanuts without it causing respiratory problems? Could it manifest as a rash?

No, we delayed allergy testing today because we weren't prepared for it. We were at the doctor's office for 45 minutes and she was completely hysterical, screaming, terrified and I promised her all morning there would be no pokes, mommy would hold her, we were going to talk to a new doctor. We were not expecting an allergy test at all. DD's pediatrician said it was a consultation. The allergist read her biopsy report, consulted with her pediatrican and wanted to do the testing. The biopsy report didn't show ISP? (the allergy link) but again, the allergist and pediatrician be completely disagree with the pathology report. They believe her dermatologist has misdiagnosed her.

I guess we only want to put her through the testing if there's a strong possibility that it could be an allergic reaction. It sounds like you many of you ladies think it could be...

Those of you with allergy/rash knowledge coudl you take a look at these photos and see what you think?

http://rosedose.blogspot.com/2008/08/r-s-h.html

Thank you thank you thank you so much. The help & support is tremendous. I am so distraught over this.

I'm absolutely looking into elimination diet for me, and I won't touch the peanut butter.

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Lord have mercy -oh my goodness!!!! I am so surprised not one of those doctors even suggested it was food related (via BM or otherwise)

Does she eat any dairy? ETA or eggs?

and not that I have to tell you but she is precious
    Last edited by @llli*number3; August 19th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

What an adorable little girl!

Looks like you're already getting rid of environmental things (synthetic fibers). Has anyone talked to you about soaps / lotions / laundry detergents?

For our allergic DS with sensitive skin we ONLY use the most gentle perfume & dye free things.

Laundry detergent - all free & clear (for ALL laundry)
    soap - cetaphil or aquaphor baby
    lotion - cetapihl (in the tub) or vanicream

Since the first rash appeared after she ate some peanuts ... it could be linked.

Our personal experience with food allergies is that our DS did not have any *obvious* allergy symptoms when he was breastfed and only had clear reactions after eating the foods directly.

Food allergies can show up in many ways. My DS (fortunately) hasn't had any breathing problems or classic anaphlyaxis, but we have seen rashes, eczema & vomitting.

for the testing! It can be tough to go through. See THIS for a description of allergy testing.

My DS has been pretty good with skin testing. The last time we went to the allergist he got a little upset (afraid?) when the nurse was doing the "pricks" but then was okay. We've had a rough time with blood draws for DS. They use a topical numbing cream on the insides of his elbows, which helps alot. My DS gets mad at being held still while they do the draw but he is not in pain.

If you take peanuts & peanut butter out of your diet - it may take several weeks for it to "clear" out of your system. Be patient!
    Lynn