Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still not going...

Default Still not going...

My DD has been having problems with not going poop. A couple of weeks ago she was really straining to poop and we gave her 2 oz. of juice on Monday night and on Tuesday she went. Then another 8 days went by without going. We talked with the nurse at Pedi's office, she told us to give her a glycerin suppository. We gave her one on Wednesday night before her DR appt. She finally went Thurday morning. At her DR appt. The Pedi told us to give her 2-4 oz of juice a day to help her keep going. Well we have been giving her juice everyday and she only has been eating pears and prunes and BM since then. She still has not gone. She has been a little more fussy since she has been having problems. Is there anything else I should be trying or should I be worried that there is something else wrong? Thanks
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Default Re: Still not going...

When she went before, was it hard and dry? Is it something in her diet that can be eliminated or even cutting out all solids till this clears up?
    Infrequency is normal for the breastfed baby but some solids can really bind up a baby even if they are normally "go" foods.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

whenever my son hadnt pooped in a little while, or was acting like his tummy hurt (or had hiccups or gas pains) i would give him Gripe Water (by baby bliss). you can get it at walgreens for like $11 or $12 if you wanted to try it. it always made him poop within 5-10 minutes. and if it was just gas pains it would make him fart all that gas out. it was a miracle worker!

you can get it cheaper online at www.puritan.com (around $8) but it sounds like you need it quick
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines

have you cut out cereal for a few days?
    that can realy cause some babies truble!

how old is baby? could you cut solids all together for a couple of days & just bf? Maybe that would help clear things outm then you could start back slowly. Also, I give dd a little water with her meals, I know technically they don't need it, but some say it can help avoid minor constipation issues...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

She finally went yesterday. It was soft and wet. I will keep the solids to maybe once a day or every other day to see if that helps. Thanks for the replies.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Hi,
    Some babies don't have a bowel movement everyday, not even for 3 or 4 days. Watch the state of the BM, if its a good consistency then maybe she isn't constipated. For playtime try movements where the knees move up to the chest to aid the intestinal movement. good luck