Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie w/ a pumping question

Default Newbie w/ a pumping question

Hi! I just found these boards and I have a question. I have an eight-week-old son who is EBF. I start back to school tomorrow and will need to pump seven times a week while I am away from him. Currently, I am pumping the amount that he drinks if I am away (3 ounces). Should I keep pumping the amount or should I pump for a certain number of minutes?

Also, I want to work in a pump session to build up a freezer stash. I plan to work this in after he nurses in the morning. I currently feed off of just one breast per feeding. When I pump, should I pump one breast or both? Also, do I pump a certain number of minutes or just enough for a bottle? Thanks so much for the help!!

Default Re: Newbie w/ a pumping question

I can only answer your first question, and others may give you different advice (who breastfeed and pump - I just pump exclusively), but I would try to empty the breasts. When I first started, I was pumping for a certain number of minutes (10) and after that I tried to get to a certain amount (3oz), but I've had the most luck with pumping until I feel empty (and according to LC, milk stops coming and pump for 1 more minute). Hope this helps! Good luck!

Currently, I am pumping the amount that he drinks if I am away (3 ounces). Should I keep pumping the amount or should I pump for a certain number of minutes?
    Keep on a pumpin! Usually a good rule of thumb is 15-20 minutes, some moms are faster or slower than that. Getting the breast as empty as possible (cause it's never really empty) is the goal!

Also, I want to work in a pump session to build up a freezer stash. I plan to work this in after he nurses in the morning. I currently feed off of just one breast per feeding. When I pump, should I pump one breast or both?
    Usually mom's pump both sides while away, but if you want to nurse your LO and pump the other side at the same time that will probably get you great output! And in the morning (when mom's supply is usually highest) will probably work great for you guys.
    Also, do I pump a certain number of minutes or just enough for a bottle?
    Definitely try and empty the breast, this will ensure that your supply stays at what your LO is setting for you. Having some extra will help with those times that you can't pump as much.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

great advice!

just to add - if you stop pumping once you get 3 ounces (for example) over time your body will only make 3 ounces during those pumping sessions. Milk production is supply and demand. The less milk "demanded" the less your body will produce. The more milk "demanded" the more your body will produce.

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks for the replies! We will give it a shot!