Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue Thrust Reflux

Default Tongue Thrust Reflux

Hi,
    My 6 month old still has the tongue thrust refux. We have tried some solids the past 2 weeks (applesauce, bananna, avacado) and it all ends up back out on the bib. Clearly she is not ready, yet my ped really wanted to see her start when she was at her 6 month appt a few weeks ago because she is only in the 10% percentile on the weight chart. Every day she looks at my like not this again. Should I just keep on trying everyday, or give her a break because clearly she is not ready? She doesn't open for the spoon either. She really shows no interest in the food except the boob is a different story.
    Just wanted to hear some other expierences you have all had with starting on solids.

Default Re: Tongue Thrust Reflux

Hi, My 7 month old DD is the same way. We've been experimenting w/ solids (cereal, banana, sweet potato, etc.) for the past 2 months on and off but she doesn't take to anything. She's clearly not ready so I don't push it. She will squirm, turn her head, or spit it out. The spoon often makes her gag, so I try feeding with my finger. I offer a bite of something every other week to see if she shows interest and so far - nothing. I know she will get there on her own time, which I'm completely fine with. It's all the 'pressure' from family, friends, etc. that is driving me crazy. They all can't understand why she's 7 months and only on breast milk. Thankfully, our pediatrician hasn't given us a hard time, but mentioned that he hopes she is taking at least some solids willingly by 9 months. We'll see! I have a feeling DD will be ready probably once she's sitting fully unsupported (not quite there yet) and maybe when she gets her first tooth/teeth. Oh, and DD is also a petite girl. She's in the 15th percentile for weight, but the doctor said that doesn't matter. As long as she's drinking all the milk she wants, and is happy and thriving, then that's the most important thing. One of my girlfriends' son never had real interest until he was 9 months old. I think we're doing the right thing just by the occasional offering to see what baby thinks. I think the important thing is just not to push it.

I probably wouldn't try every single day, for a couple of reasons. First, your baby will eat when ready. I promise Second, even when she does start eating, the amount she will actually be taking in will be so small at first, that waiting two or three days is going to make no difference. Does that make sense? Plus, your milk is so much more fattening than most first foods ounce for ounce.

I tried every few days to get DD to eat solids starting at 5 months and she just gagged, then one day she swallowed and wanted more. They really just need to be ready. Watch the baby not the calendar. Remember that the growth chart is the normal range. Your daughter is on the smaller side of normal. She isn't too small

Don't let this stress you out. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have worried so much about the whole starting solids thing and just relaxed.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

yeah no sence in just making a mess....

your breastmilk has more callories and more good fats then any normal baby food solid foods.

What are babies nursing patterns like, maybe getting her to nurse more often will help with weight gain!
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Thanks everybody I feel better now too. I knew even at her 6 month appointment with the ped that she wasn't ready, but I did and have tried for the sake of trying. Like "aph's" post...I feel pressure from family, friends...however I'm just going to ignore ignore ignore! If it was up to me, she wouldn't start solids for a few more months anyways. I like the simplicity of just breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*simpleebella View Post
    Thanks everybody I feel better now too. I knew even at her 6 month appointment with the ped that she wasn't ready, but I did and have tried for the sake of trying. Like "aph's" post...I feel pressure from family, friends...however I'm just going to ignore ignore ignore! If it was up to me, she wouldn't start solids for a few more months anyways. I like the simplicity of just breastfeeding.

Our DD eats a ton of solids and has since 6 months. She was born at 5%, was at 5% when we started solids and is still at 5% at 9 months. Im not worried about it at all. My point is the solids didn't do anything for her weight.

She is 50% for height, 5% for weight, tall and thin, just like her momma.

She will start solids when she is ready. My DD also had the tongue thrust reflex still at 6 & 7 months. She was also low on the weight bracket (3%, she's always been around 3-5% for weight, from the beginning). I def. wouldn't offer solids daily; I would skip 2, 3 days, sometimes even a week before trying again. I eventually had to go to baby led weaning and offering DD finger foods as she hates the purees. We started with soft peeled pears and avocado, then smashed blueberries, finally at 8 months puffs & Cheerios and wonder of wonder, yogurt, which she likes (though it is quite messy and she has to "help" hold the spoon). I'd say it was probably only around 7.5 months that DD began to lose the tongue-thrust reflex and then I started trying to offer solids daily (though some days I still don't get around to it and don't stress about it). Most of DD's calories still come from BM though.
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07