Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breasts not producing enough

Default Breasts not producing enough

I have a 2.5 week old and I have been exclusively pumping for the last 1.5 weeks. I pump every 2-3 hours for 20 - 30 minutes each time. As of this afternoon, my supply has seemed to run dry (2 pumping sessions resulting in about 1 oz. total from both breasts). What can I do to prevent from going exclusively to formula?

Default Re: Breasts not producing enough

What type of pump are you using? That can make a difference.

Also one or two bad sessions are not necessarily telling of your overall supply. It sounds like you may have not been able to let down - could be a number of reasons (you were stressed, worried, too cold, not feelin the flow). How's it gone since then?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I have been using a Medela Pump in Style. Since my post I have started taking Fenugreek and that seems to help. Depending on the time of day I produce more or less, but I have been able to keep up with my son's appetite with little formula supplement.

You might try and renting a hospital grade pump for a week or so to see if that makes a difference for you, those are the kind of pumps moms use to establish a supply they are generally more efficient as well.
    Your supply during the day will ebb and flow, that's totally normal. Many mother's find that supply is highest in the morning, so that's always a good time to pump!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!