Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Music while napping?

Default Music while napping?

I just found my Baby Bach CD that I used to play for Aaron in utero... played it twice today and he fell right asleep in my arms. Usually getting him to sleep is a 10-20 minute ordeal. I played it while he napped last time and he slept a little longer than usual! I'm thinking about getting a cd player for his nursery but my DH is very opposed to any sound while DS is sleeping- no white noise etc-he doesn't want Aaron to become used to background noise. But DH also values all of your opinions because I've gotten such good advice here. - does anyone have any opinions on playing music for baby to fall asleep and stay asleep?

TIA

Default Re: Music while napping?

We have used white noise in DS's room since about the end of his first week and find it very helpful. We also use soothing music at naptimes - in part because it has come to be a very strongly-associated signal to DS that it's time to wind down, settle and sleep. I'm finding that part of it to be all the more important the older and more busy and active he is and the less likely it is for him to fall asleep nursing, or, when I'm not there, with someone else rocking him. At nighttime, we do not use music; we have other routine cues for him that signals it's nighttime, so I don't think we've created a dependency on music for sleep!

As another thought, I've liked that DS knows it's OK and time to be calm when those cd's are playing. I figure if we are ever in a strange situation due to emergency or whatever, it will be very good to have those cues as "it's OK; things are normal; you can relax and rest" kind of stuff for DS - you know, a long car trip, trip to see family that wasn't quite planned for, etc., etc.

good luck!
    -linda

I also believe that there is research that shows that music is helpful because it causes them to use a different part of their brain whereas most infants are up trying to master new skills because that art of tgeir rain is still active. I use music with DS and he falls asleep much better. However...he os not dependent on it cause he can fall asleep without is sometimes. It just seems to relax him. He's 10.5months and I've been using it for around 5 months. There is a great CD player that attaches to the side of the crib, but I can't remember what brand I have!
    Go with your instincts!! Good luck.

I feel it's good to get them used to noise while they are sleeping, that way, if you have company or go to visit anyone, nap time will not be that bad. If they're used to some noise going on, a little noise will not startle them out of a slumber. At this house, the dog barks, the TV or radio is on, the shower is going, the dishwasher, vacume. Once I figured out he'll sleep in the swing, d/t reflux, he'll sleep for right around 1 1/2 -2 hours and I can clean, shower, and practically do anything I need to do while he's snoozin away. I'm luvin life.

I"m a huge fan of white noise makers. I've slept with one myself (as I'm a really light sleeper) since I was in high school. We got one for Connor as soon as he started sleeping in his own room. Its not so bad to rely on one- it helps even me, a grown woman, to wind down, relax and drift off to sleep without being disturbed.
    As for music, I use it sometimes. If I'm having trouble getting him to nap I sometimes put on a lullaby CD. Generally he stays alseep after its finished. I'm of the opinion that there's never really a bad time for a baby to listen to music.

The day care where DD goes has music on during naptime. I found that when I didn't do the same at home, DD would sleep for a much shorter time. So we do use a CD at naptime. An added benefit is that it does help drown out all of the landscapers lawn mowers that seem to be going non-stop as of late.

At bedtime, we have a different routine that doesn't include music. The "No Cry Sleep Solution" recommended having different nap and bedtime routines, so that's what we've done.

I hear your husband's concerns about your lo developing a need for it, but I am grateful for whatever helps my DD get the sleep she needs during the day. I have found that the better she sleeps during the day, the better she sleeps at night. Who knew??

But of course, you have to do what works best for you ... good luck!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We have decided that background noise is part of life, and the more DS#1 here gets used to that and learns to sleep while some noise is going on, the better. When in life will it ever be completely silent when you're trying to sleep? Are you planning on having any other children ever? As the oldest of 5 kids, I can sure say our house was not a silent one growing up!

We don't consistanly put anything on, but we have a CD player and a white/nature noise machine and use one or the other or sometimes neither.